The Giver by Lois Lowry This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

After reading The Giver, I was left confused and disappointed. It seemed as if it would be interesting, but you can't judge a book by its cover. The contents were dull and predictable. Quite honestly, I wouldn't recommend it to any reader seeking a fine piece of literature. It just doesn't suffice.

The Giver is about a young boy named Jonas. He resides in a futuristic society in which each citizen is assigned a job, a spouse, and children. The children are born to mothers who will never get to see them. Trying not to give anymore away, I will only say that Jonas is assigned an important job and is challenged with the release of an innocent child. Jonas is left with the option of leaving his home, job, and family to save the child, or facing the harsh reality of his community and job, and enduring the release of the child.

This book was dreadful. I became more and more dissatisfied with each page. It was a waste of time and hardly made sense. I'll admit, there were a few interesting lines, but far too few to continue reading after the first chapter. Although I finished it, I regret doing so. It was, by far, the worst book I've ever picked up. It proved to be mediocre, no better than what the average person could conceive. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

MisplacedTexan14 said...
Feb. 23, 2010 at 10:13 pm:
There is a sequel!!! Gathering Blue and The Messenger are the sequels. How can you not like this book?!?!? My whole seventh grade class read it and everyone LOVED it!

AlexandraRose<3 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Feb. 23, 2010 at 10:40 pm :
The messenger and gathering blue are NOT sequals they are only books by the same author

MisplacedTexan14 replied...
Feb. 23, 2010 at 10:56 pm :
They are not normal sequels, but Jonas's story continues in them.

Shabanana replied...
Mar. 17, 2010 at 10:54 am :
They are not sequels. Jonas' story continues but all the characters are changed and only a little part talks about Jonas. The rest of the books have nothing to do with them. Lois Lowry wrote 3 different books and conveniently joined them together but it is not a sequel.

MisplacedTexan14 replied...
Mar. 17, 2010 at 10:58 am :
okay, whatever. Talk about the book. Is it really that important if they're not REAL sequels. His story continues, I was just pointing that out. Talk about the book.

alex9426 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Mar. 17, 2010 at 7:16 pm :
in a way, yes, they are sequels. but also, in a way, they're not. you have to read the giver then gathering blue then messenger. the information is continued and expanded.

readaholic replied...
Mar. 23, 2010 at 7:27 pm :
The messenger and gathering blue are the type of books called companions. They aren't sequels but are related to the story in some way. And about the review above: i personally LOVED the book and disagree with the reviewer. I read it in 6th grade by choice and i think it's interesting and makes you think. It really depends what type of books you like to read.

1313 replied...
Apr. 22, 2010 at 10:05 am :
All three books(The Giver, Gathering Blue and Messanger) are in a triology.  They might not all go together exactly, having different people in them and all, but they are put together in a trilogy.  That's what Lois Lowry calls them, The Trilogy, on her website loislowry.com under "Books".  "Books" is a list of all the works she has writen(at least it's supposed to be) and is writen by Lois Lowry(the site is).  Just thought I'd throw that out there! :P

lovelauren3 said...
Feb. 23, 2010 at 9:36 pm:
I read this book as an assignment for English, so I was forced to finish. I was instantly interested by her precise descriptions of everything she wrote about, but was by all means, completely dissapointed by the ending. It left you wondering in a terrible way, and of course, there's no sequel.

horsie_luver replied...
Mar. 14, 2010 at 9:42 pm :
The Messenger and Gathering Blue are sort of sequels.

Shabanana replied...
Mar. 17, 2010 at 10:55 am :
i felt the same way. I also read it in English class in 7th grade and loved the book i just really wish there was a better ending Gathering Blue and The Messanger are not an ending.

Ang1217 replied...
Aug. 18, 2010 at 12:55 pm :
You're supposed to feel lost - in real life you never know what your outcome it - some people think Jonas died, some people think he made it out, some people think he went crazy - if you re-read the book, you will have a different opinion of what happens everything, and that's what makes it awesome because not everything in life is so easy to interpret

Shabanana replied...
Aug. 18, 2010 at 2:06 pm :
agreed! My teacher said that she read it over 14 times and every time she gets a different perspective

Duckie430This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 23, 2010 at 7:40 pm:
the giver isn't a bad book; actually, it makes you really think, unlike alot of other books

Ruby H. said...
Feb. 23, 2010 at 7:28 pm:
I think this book, while it might have been slightly predictable at times, sent a strong message. If you read her book The Messenger you will learn more about Jonas. I think this review was very well written however. Nice job.

ErikaAburame said...
Feb. 23, 2010 at 4:17 pm:
I disagree 100% with this review. I read this book when I was in 7th grade and absolutely fell in love with it. It compelled me to read on to the next two books that tie in with this one and I absolutely loved it. I wished that there was more to this interesting story; Lois Lowry is an amazing author to all.

sunnyhunny This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 23, 2010 at 10:33 am:
I think that this book is amazing. It was disturbing, but I disagree that it was a waste of time. It was deep and a warning to our society. i like the fact that the book was cryptically written, becasue Lois Lowry leaves it up to the reader to figure things out. It isn't too hard as long as you are attentive through the whole thing. The only part I was frustrated with is the ending becasue it leaves it to your own interpertation.

MisplacedTexan14 replied...
Mar. 17, 2010 at 8:30 pm :
I agree that it was a warning. It shows how it would be if everyone was perfectly equal and there was no creativity. It was written beautifully and made everyone in my class think.

Olderatheart said...
Feb. 23, 2010 at 10:20 am:
I disagree completley
this book was deep and although crypticly wriitten, was great.

Suavell N. said...
Feb. 23, 2010 at 8:16 am:
this was the best book i ever read great writing great plot all around great book

logo24 said...
Feb. 23, 2010 at 6:20 am:
they are making a movie for this soon. I didn't like this book either and I thought it was almost disturbing. I too had to read it for school.