The Giver by Lois Lowry This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

After reading The Giver, I was left confused and disappointed. It seemed as if it would be interesting, but you can't judge a book by its cover. The contents were dull and predictable. Quite honestly, I wouldn't recommend it to any reader seeking a fine piece of literature. It just doesn't suffice.

The Giver is about a young boy named Jonas. He resides in a futuristic society in which each citizen is assigned a job, a spouse, and children. The children are born to mothers who will never get to see them. Trying not to give anymore away, I will only say that Jonas is assigned an important job and is challenged with the release of an innocent child. Jonas is left with the option of leaving his home, job, and family to save the child, or facing the harsh reality of his community and job, and enduring the release of the child.

This book was dreadful. I became more and more dissatisfied with each page. It was a waste of time and hardly made sense. I'll admit, there were a few interesting lines, but far too few to continue reading after the first chapter. Although I finished it, I regret doing so. It was, by far, the worst book I've ever picked up. It proved to be mediocre, no better than what the average person could conceive. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

heeeheee34 said...
Mar. 17, 2010 at 11:56 am
This book sucks.

heeeheee34 replied...
Mar. 17, 2010 at 11:58 am
srry i tested this website and i made an error, this book is actually decent and suspending

horsie_luver said...
Thank you to everybody who agrees with me in saying that this is a very good book. Please do not let all of the negative comments discourage you from reading this book. It is an excellent book if you like this type of writing. Although, some people might not like this book, but that is fine with me. Not everybody likes every book and every type of book.

sunnyhunny This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I have to respectfully disagree with you. I like the matter-of-fact tone that Lois Lowry maintains throughout the begining of the story. Nobody in the community knows that so many things are wrong, and the reader is left to notice it themselves without it being announced to them. I think that this story was cleverly written, and that the reading level is lower than the maturity it takes to fully understand and accept the true purpose and message of this book.

Darley said...
I love this Book!!!!! I read it in the seventh grade. I totally recomend it. The Giver isa different kind of book that is what makes it cool

MisplacedTexan14 said...
There is a sequel!!! Gathering Blue and The Messenger are the sequels. How can you not like this book?!?!? My whole seventh grade class read it and everyone LOVED it!

AlexandraRose<3 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
The messenger and gathering blue are NOT sequals they are only books by the same author

MisplacedTexan14 replied...
They are not normal sequels, but Jonas's story continues in them.

Shabanana replied...
Mar. 17, 2010 at 10:54 am
They are not sequels. Jonas' story continues but all the characters are changed and only a little part talks about Jonas. The rest of the books have nothing to do with them. Lois Lowry wrote 3 different books and conveniently joined them together but it is not a sequel.

MisplacedTexan14 replied...
Mar. 17, 2010 at 10:58 am
okay, whatever. Talk about the book. Is it really that important if they're not REAL sequels. His story continues, I was just pointing that out. Talk about the book.

alex9426 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
in a way, yes, they are sequels. but also, in a way, they're not. you have to read the giver then gathering blue then messenger. the information is continued and expanded.

readaholic replied...
The messenger and gathering blue are the type of books called companions. They aren't sequels but are related to the story in some way. And about the review above: i personally LOVED the book and disagree with the reviewer. I read it in 6th grade by choice and i think it's interesting and makes you think. It really depends what type of books you like to read.

1313 replied...
Apr. 22, 2010 at 10:05 am
All three books(The Giver, Gathering Blue and Messanger) are in a triology.  They might not all go together exactly, having different people in them and all, but they are put together in a trilogy.  That's what Lois Lowry calls them, The Trilogy, on her website loislowry.com under "Books".  "Books" is a list of all the works she has writen(at least it's supposed to be) and is writen by Lois Lowry(the site is).  Just thought I'd throw that out there! :P

lovelauren3 said...
I read this book as an assignment for English, so I was forced to finish. I was instantly interested by her precise descriptions of everything she wrote about, but was by all means, completely dissapointed by the ending. It left you wondering in a terrible way, and of course, there's no sequel.

horsie_luver replied...
The Messenger and Gathering Blue are sort of sequels.

Shabanana replied...
Mar. 17, 2010 at 10:55 am
i felt the same way. I also read it in English class in 7th grade and loved the book i just really wish there was a better ending Gathering Blue and The Messanger are not an ending.

Ang1217 replied...
You're supposed to feel lost - in real life you never know what your outcome it - some people think Jonas died, some people think he made it out, some people think he went crazy - if you re-read the book, you will have a different opinion of what happens everything, and that's what makes it awesome because not everything in life is so easy to interpret

Shabanana replied...
agreed! My teacher said that she read it over 14 times and every time she gets a different perspective

Duckie430 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
the giver isn't a bad book; actually, it makes you really think, unlike alot of other books

Ruby H. said...
I think this book, while it might have been slightly predictable at times, sent a strong message. If you read her book The Messenger you will learn more about Jonas. I think this review was very well written however. Nice job.

ErikaAburame said...
I disagree 100% with this review. I read this book when I was in 7th grade and absolutely fell in love with it. It compelled me to read on to the next two books that tie in with this one and I absolutely loved it. I wished that there was more to this interesting story; Lois Lowry is an amazing author to all.