The Giver by Lois Lowry This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

After reading The Giver, I was left confused and disappointed. It seemed as if it would be interesting, but you can't judge a book by its cover. The contents were dull and predictable. Quite honestly, I wouldn't recommend it to any reader seeking a fine piece of literature. It just doesn't suffice.

The Giver is about a young boy named Jonas. He resides in a futuristic society in which each citizen is assigned a job, a spouse, and children. The children are born to mothers who will never get to see them. Trying not to give anymore away, I will only say that Jonas is assigned an important job and is challenged with the release of an innocent child. Jonas is left with the option of leaving his home, job, and family to save the child, or facing the harsh reality of his community and job, and enduring the release of the child.

This book was dreadful. I became more and more dissatisfied with each page. It was a waste of time and hardly made sense. I'll admit, there were a few interesting lines, but far too few to continue reading after the first chapter. Although I finished it, I regret doing so. It was, by far, the worst book I've ever picked up. It proved to be mediocre, no better than what the average person could conceive. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

AwesomeNewt said...
May 22, 2010 at 11:43 am
i loved this book. its one of my favorite books, sorry you didn't like it

LoneEarthWolf said...
I really enjoed the book, it has a deep meaning to it all the way to the end. It really makes you think about life...

Liozay123 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Yes!  Exactly!

charzard said...
May 20, 2010 at 9:37 am
i really enjoyed this book! it was captivating and interesting. i'm sorry you didn't enjoy it because you're missing out on a great piece of literature.

sunnyhunny This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 8, 2010 at 8:46 am
I loved this book.  The words are simple, but there is so much hidden behind them.  I advise you to take a closer look at the true meaning of this book.

deJoisey This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I picked up The Giver a few years back.  It is an intriguing book. It picks at your subconscious. Reading it, you feel that there is more to it - a spiritual side - hanging just outside the periphery of your understanding.  The man on the cover reminds me of Willie Nelson.  

ThisIsMyScreenName said...
Also, i noticed 90% of all the negative comments toward this book are people who didn't understand and/or take the time to finish. And would a little grammar/spelling hurt too?

tiredandhungry replied...
I think that pretty much summed up the problem :)  I fully agree.

ThisIsMyScreenName said...
May 5, 2010 at 11:58 am
Honestly, this book was satisfyingly good. I found that you didn't understand the book fully for what its worth. Also, what do you dislike that makes each page for dreadful? Each page gets deeper into the storyline...page by page you learn more about this mysterious society. A "perfect" society, close to pure communism in a way.

bokworm said...
May 5, 2010 at 11:57 am
i loved it you just need an openmind to fully under stand it.

johndeerelover said...
May 5, 2010 at 11:49 am
This book was confusing and boreing

Darley said...
Really? I loved this book. for me it was hard to understand at the begging but then I really started to like it! Have you ever read the outsiders? I think you would like it. I recomend it. :)

I love the Outsiders!! Loved the giver, too.

sulamansk481 said...
nice book i loved it

lnvo97 said...
honestly i agree with you!!! i had to read the giver for school and i hated it!!! i will never pick it up again!!!

ZAVERY replied...
Invo, I'm not going to disrespect your opinion, but just question yourself a few questions about the book. Every question has a moral. For example, "Why did the community remove colours and make the world grey?" Perhaps it was because of racism. Was it because giving your opinion of colours for your clothes can be a bad expression? Take an example of school uniforms, like they're pretty much colourless. You can learn so much from that book. Sorry, just wanted to let it out.    ... (more »)

lnvo97 replied...
Zavery, im got going against you there. but how would you know beauty without knowing any color???even though beauty is to the eye of the beholder, many things that we consider beautiful consist of color.

ZAVERY replied...

Yeah, there are good and bad things about not having colours, but from their eyes, colours can be dangerous. They can cause racism, judgements, etc. It's not a bad or good book. I just find it strange, and it gives me wonderous thoughts and ideas to add in this book.

By the way, you're not going against me. It's an opinion, and I never get mad about them. Lol!

lnvo97 replied...
lol !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! =D

WannaBeALoser said...
I disagree. The giver is an amazing book if you had the ability to understand it.