The Giver by Lois Lowry This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

After reading The Giver, I was left confused and disappointed. It seemed as if it would be interesting, but you can't judge a book by its cover. The contents were dull and predictable. Quite honestly, I wouldn't recommend it to any reader seeking a fine piece of literature. It just doesn't suffice.

The Giver is about a young boy named Jonas. He resides in a futuristic society in which each citizen is assigned a job, a spouse, and children. The children are born to mothers who will never get to see them. Trying not to give anymore away, I will only say that Jonas is assigned an important job and is challenged with the release of an innocent child. Jonas is left with the option of leaving his home, job, and family to save the child, or facing the harsh reality of his community and job, and enduring the release of the child.

This book was dreadful. I became more and more dissatisfied with each page. It was a waste of time and hardly made sense. I'll admit, there were a few interesting lines, but far too few to continue reading after the first chapter. Although I finished it, I regret doing so. It was, by far, the worst book I've ever picked up. It proved to be mediocre, no better than what the average person could conceive. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

cait19 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 13, 2010 at 9:20 am
This review has a few biases that a good critic would not include. For example, you said that after the first chapter you were disgusted. Well, then you admit aproaching the book expecting it to be bad. Writing a good review and being a good critic involves being objective and open. I hope that helps! Keep writing you're getting there
thetiedyecrayon said...
Jun. 13, 2010 at 9:06 am
First off, The Giver wasn't a compelling, stay-up-till-midnight read, but it wasn't dull and predictable. And how exactly is it dreadful? You're just saying these things with no evidence to back it up. To people who have never read the book, you're not helping them by just saying it was dreadful.
Slushi said...

*a *phenomenon

How do I edit/delete a comment? Thanks.

Slushi said...
I thought the topic was amazing: a boy living in a world with no inequality, no prejudice, no rudeness and most amazingly of all, no pain. Althought some parts were somewhat predictable, it made sense. The Giver had an intriguing start and an thoughtful, cliff-hanger end. I believe that this book was a phenonmeon that caused me to dwell on philosophical questions, like what is true happiness and the importance love. Would we really want a world without any pain? Pain is a burden, but i... (more »)
Aelia said...
Jun. 12, 2010 at 9:56 am
I don't quite agree ith you. I agree that the fact The Giver was somewhat confusing, especially at the beginning. However, as I read on, I found the book was thought provoking and truly and sophisticated piece of work. Sadly, then ending was not as satisfying as I hoped.
NEllexis1026 said...
The book The Giver is a book based on changes throught life.I haven't read the book in a long time but I remember it well. It was a book where everything was the same.Only one person had known what reality truly was and that is  what the story is really about how a child changes overtimel.HE starts out in the tens and goes in to the ellevens and thinks he had not done enough community service work until his name is called last with a speech he proudly recives the honnor of be... (more »)
ZoeRocksYourBrain said...
Jun. 8, 2010 at 3:18 am
Why were a lot of you confused? I read this book in the third grade and it made sense to me. There is this whole underlying element I didn't notice until I was older, about the apple representing knowlegde and loss of innocence. It really was captivating. Sorry you missed it xD
MacnCheezz replied...
I agree. This piece of literature has a ton of symbolism in it, if you read if for face value, then of couse it wouldn't make sense....
Serendipity-Pen replied...
Jun. 12, 2010 at 9:31 am
I personally thought that the book was amazing. It didn't confuse me, so much as raised frustration that I couldn't figure out what happened. It was fairly easy to follow, and it was written beautifully. When you've read enough books to start a library, like I have, THEN you can say what you want.
DarkMountain replied...
You said modestly.
Ninja_Writer This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I hated hated hated this book! I totally agree with you there. It was slow and confusing, and the way it ends just aggravated me.
twilight_teen14 said...
It was an interesting book to read so I will not agree with you on that point. Otherwise, I did NOT like this book because it was disturbing on so many levels. The whole thing with 'releasing' was so wrong! Plus, a community with no wrongs, MADE A HUGE WRONG! It didn't give people choices or let them see in color. Except for Jonas, Gabriel, and The Giver. I'll agree with you there. And it was confusing, especially the end.
twilight_teen14 replied...
Also, with the whole 'assign' wrong.
TortelliniPen This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jun. 11, 2010 at 10:13 am
But don't you think that that was the point?  Isn't this supposed to be a dystopia?
twilight_teen14 replied...
to the readers, yes, to the characters (except Jonas later), no.
Vexa_Rave replied...
Jul. 6, 2010 at 6:32 am
That's the point of the book.  If you think that's bad read Lord of the Flies.  It's ten times scarier.  And dystopia books are supposed to be creepy.  They're supposed to make you think about the future and what could happen.  I personally don't think this book is any more "wrong" than the Uglies series (another dystopia book).  Both books are fantastic to me, and that's simply the point of the book.  They're not meant to fill you with butterflies ... (more »)
CaityBug said...
I actually really liked this book and, while I understand that people hae different tastes in literature, I believe you were a bit harsh.
Spoiled-Chicken replied...
May 31, 2010 at 6:34 am
yeah i agree. but it still was a good review
tiredandhungry(: said...
I can understand why you would find this book confusing, but I don't think that it was "dull and predictable".  The author had some very unique ideas of how this society was ran.  I admit, it wasn't the most gripping book, but it is definately a very fine piece of literature.  It's just a matter of understanding what the author was trying to say (moral terms and such).  Not very many people liked it that I know of, and it wasn't a book that I would call my favorite, but I thi... (more »)
Ramzan This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I didn't like this book all that much either. I understood it, and it made sense, but it was just so...boring. The idea seemed so bland and cliche.