The Giver by Lois Lowry This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

After reading The Giver, I was left confused and disappointed. It seemed as if it would be interesting, but you can't judge a book by its cover. The contents were dull and predictable. Quite honestly, I wouldn't recommend it to any reader seeking a fine piece of literature. It just doesn't suffice.

The Giver is about a young boy named Jonas. He resides in a futuristic society in which each citizen is assigned a job, a spouse, and children. The children are born to mothers who will never get to see them. Trying not to give anymore away, I will only say that Jonas is assigned an important job and is challenged with the release of an innocent child. Jonas is left with the option of leaving his home, job, and family to save the child, or facing the harsh reality of his community and job, and enduring the release of the child.

This book was dreadful. I became more and more dissatisfied with each page. It was a waste of time and hardly made sense. I'll admit, there were a few interesting lines, but far too few to continue reading after the first chapter. Although I finished it, I regret doing so. It was, by far, the worst book I've ever picked up. It proved to be mediocre, no better than what the average person could conceive. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

johndeerelover said...
May 5, 2010 at 11:49 am:
This book was confusing and boreing

Darley said...
Really? I loved this book. for me it was hard to understand at the begging but then I really started to like it! Have you ever read the outsiders? I think you would like it. I recomend it. :)

Liozay123 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
May 22, 2010 at 10:58 pm :

I love the Outsiders!! Loved the giver, too.

sulamansk481 said...
nice book i loved it

lnvo97 said...
honestly i agree with you!!! i had to read the giver for school and i hated it!!! i will never pick it up again!!!

ZAVERY replied...
May 5, 2010 at 4:10 pm :
Invo, I'm not going to disrespect your opinion, but just question yourself a few questions about the book. Every question has a moral. For example, "Why did the community remove colours and make the world grey?" Perhaps it was because of racism. Was it because giving your opinion of colours for your clothes can be a bad expression? Take an example of school uniforms, like they're pretty much colourless. You can learn so much from that book. Sorry, just wanted to let it out.    ... (more »)

lnvo97 replied...
May 5, 2010 at 4:41 pm :
Zavery, im got going against you there. but how would you know beauty without knowing any color???even though beauty is to the eye of the beholder, many things that we consider beautiful consist of color.

ZAVERY replied...
May 5, 2010 at 4:58 pm :

Yeah, there are good and bad things about not having colours, but from their eyes, colours can be dangerous. They can cause racism, judgements, etc. It's not a bad or good book. I just find it strange, and it gives me wonderous thoughts and ideas to add in this book.

By the way, you're not going against me. It's an opinion, and I never get mad about them. Lol!

lnvo97 replied...
May 5, 2010 at 7:57 pm :
lol !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! =D

WannaBeALoser said...
I disagree. The giver is an amazing book if you had the ability to understand it.

Wannabewriter said...
I read this book for school also. I think it was kind of cool the way the author must have an amazing imagination.

1313 said...
Apr. 22, 2010 at 10:07 am:
I disagree with the review.  The Giver is a really great book and really gets you to think about life.  It is a little confusing and probably isn't for everyone, but I liked it.

Stonemich92 said...
Apr. 22, 2010 at 8:56 am:
This Book is amazing. Its the kind that I truely love to crawl in bwed with. Even though Ive read it many times it never gets old to me.

Naba36 replied...
Jul. 1, 2010 at 4:38 pm :
This book is one of my favorites!! i love how the author created a totally new community; that's what makes it so unique.

sammm7 said...
did you read gathering blue and messenger? (very good)

Olivea said...
I have to disagree with you. I really enjoy Lois Lowry's writing style. I thought that it was very unique. The ending was a cliffhanger because it is important to draw your own conclusions.

jjjjkkkkll said...
I totally disagree with you.This book was a very good book.Altough the ending was confusing I still like this book very greatly!!

dancestar said...
Even though The Giver wasn't my favorite book, i thought it was worth my time to read. the plot was different and unique. But i have to admit i was REALLY disappointed with the sequal Gathering Blue and the book after that- Messenger.

literatureXlover said...
i read the book last year and i fell in love with louis lowry .. i think hes/she [iam not sure :x]is a great writer and i do recommend this book and any other books by him/her ..yes it can get confusing and the endings not that great ..but he/she has a great way of writing and his/her books are very good ..in mi opinion.

RheaD.Ravenfinger This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I liked the book but I felt let down at the ending. I didn't get to know whether Jonas helped the people to remember or if he survived and what happened to the baby. The book had a lot of good ideas and was well written but I think the writer ended it too soon.