The Giver by Lois Lowry MAG

By Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York
Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York

After reading The Giver, I was left confused and disappointed. It seemed as if it would be interesting, but you can't judge a book by its cover. The contents were dull and predictable. Quite honestly, I wouldn't recommend it to any reader seeking a fine piece of literature. It just doesn't suffice.

The Giver is about a young boy named Jonas. He resides in a futuristic society in which each citizen is assigned a job, a spouse, and children. The children are born to mothers who will never get to see them. Trying not to give anymore away, I will only say that Jonas is assigned an important job and is challenged with the release of an innocent child. Jonas is left with the option of leaving his home, job, and family to save the child, or facing the harsh reality of his community and job, and enduring the release of the child.

This book was dreadful. I became more and more dissatisfied with each page. It was a waste of time and hardly made sense. I'll admit, there were a few interesting lines, but far too few to continue reading after the first chapter. Although I finished it, I regret doing so. It was, by far, the worst book I've ever picked up. It proved to be mediocre, no better than what the average person could conceive. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

on Sep. 9 2010 at 6:53 am
Inkspired PLATINUM, Whitby, Other

"If one will scoff at the study of language, how, save in terms of language, will one scoff?" - Mario Pei
"I write for the same reason I breathe - because if I didn't, I would die." Isaac Asimov

I completely and totally disagree- this book was absolutely amazing! Though it's not as fast-paced and full of suspense as more recent teen novels, the message is absolutely, undeniably true and inspiring. 

Lilies BRONZE said...
on Aug. 25 2010 at 9:55 pm
Lilies BRONZE, Columbus, New Jersey

"Reach for the stars, even if you have to stand on a cactus."
- Susan Longacre

I applaud you for your well written review.However,I think you couldnt have been more wrong.The symbolism in this book was spectacular.I don't doubt that it could become a classic.

on Aug. 21 2010 at 12:46 pm
HOPEfully SILVER, Clayton, North Carolina

My Cinderella. She is real. She exists. I pray for her constantly. May God satisfy the desires of her heart, draw her close, consume her. May He claim her passions, her identity, her refuge, her hopes, her strengths and weaknesses -Adam Young

as i read this review my eyes bugged out of my head. you are crazy but I respect your opinion, thanks for sharing.

on Aug. 18 2010 at 10:41 pm
deus-ex-machina14 BRONZE, Stewartsville, New Jersey

"There are two main tragedies in life. One is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it." -Oscar Wilde

I read this in sixth grade and I didn't get it t first, but it gives a good message, I think. These people are in pursuit of perfection in society, but in depriving people of feelings, sensory, freedom of expression, and variety. Even if it eliminates all of the bad things that go along with those things like prejudice, unfairness, misery, and disappointment, it's not worth the love and wisdom and everything else that would go down with them. The writing was a bit dull at times, but it was a great idea for a story.

jojowa said...
on Aug. 18 2010 at 10:00 pm
No way! You're obviously entitled to your own opinion, but I LOVE this book! I felt a little dissatisfied at the end of it, but it's supposed to leave you pretty unsettled, it's not a "happily ever after" story. Try reading the other two books in the "trilogy" (Finding Blue and The Messenger), the whole thing makes a lot more sense when it is all put together. These books are fantastic for teens because they require a little brainwork, unlike most YA fiction. I <3!

on Aug. 18 2010 at 6:04 pm
scarletP SILVER, East Lansing, Michigan

"A smart girl listens but doesn't believe, kisses but doesn't love and leaves before she is left."
-- Marilyn Monroe

I completely and totally disagree...I read this book and to some extent was confused, but that's what was so beautiful about it, it challanged me to dig deeper into what the author was trying to say. Maybe, you should go and reread the book and try and challange yourself to understand it a little bit more, at least perhaps you may gain some sort of respect for the authors talent to create a place completely detached from love.

on Aug. 18 2010 at 2:06 pm
Shabanana SILVER, Teaneck, New Jersey
agreed! My teacher said that she read it over 14 times and every time she gets a different perspective

on Aug. 18 2010 at 1:01 pm
Blue4indigo PLATINUM, Sturbridge, Connecticut

I'd rather be sorry for something that I did than for something I didn't do.
-Red Scott

I do not agree! I read the book in elemantary school, and I loved it then (I still love it) The whole idea of the book is amazing, people giving up painful memories, feelings, colors to remain naive. It is just one of those books that when you finish it, you have to sit and think.

Review well written!

Ang1217 said...
on Aug. 18 2010 at 12:55 pm
You're supposed to feel lost - in real life you never know what your outcome it - some people think Jonas died, some people think he made it out, some people think he went crazy - if you re-read the book, you will have a different opinion of what happens everything, and that's what makes it awesome because not everything in life is so easy to interpret

Ang1217 said...
on Aug. 18 2010 at 12:52 pm
You're supposed to feel lost at the end of the book - Someone earlier said it should be taught to 4th graders, but Teenagers can't even understand it - It's one of those books that is easy to read, so we read it young, but you never get the symbolism until you're older. I read this book in 5th grade and thought it was ok, but now I have a new appreciation for it and understand the depth and meaning - - I'd say - don't disregard it just yet - read it again in a couple of years and THEN see if you get it

on Aug. 18 2010 at 8:29 am
DiamondsIntheGrass GOLD, Martinsville, New Jersey

Worry is simply a misuse of the imagination.

um... lois lowry is a she. but i agree. i didn't quite grasp the symbolism that many people talk about. the idea was good, but not well conveyed.

on Aug. 18 2010 at 8:26 am

i had to read the giver as a book club book, and i heard so many rave reviews on the book, so i had high expectations.  but i agree, the book really fell flat.

speaking from the wrting aspect of this review, i think you might not want to include so much information about the story because by the end of your explanation it would've been confusing for someone who didn't read the book ("whats a 'release'?") yeah. but it was written very well.

Amiee said...
on Aug. 18 2010 at 6:17 am
i love the giver!! it's my favorite book!!  .....isn't strong and power with the touch of symbolism which i love! How can anyone not love it?

on Aug. 18 2010 at 12:36 am
sarahj72294 BRONZE, St. Paris, Ohio

"Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and charm and gaiety to life and to everything"

The Giver is one of my favorite books of all time. The ending is shakey but thats the beauty of it, you get to decide how you think it should end. So many books end in a way you didnt want them to end but this way you get to kind of play around with it

MiriamH said...
on Aug. 15 2010 at 10:06 pm
MiriamH, Mequon, Wisconsin

“I just want someone to hear what I have to say. And maybe if I talk long enough, it’ll make sense.”

I completely agree, there are so many hidden symbols, you just have to look for them. In truth, this was an amazing book that I could read again and again and find new things each time. It would never bore me.

kisscandisun said...
on Jul. 27 2010 at 11:51 pm
It seems to me that you did not grasp the symbolism of the book. You need to see that this book was about a boy living in a Dystopic society so yes some parts are disturbing. But there were far more meaningful parts in the book then just the disturbing. And please make sure you fully understand the book before you bash it.

on Jul. 27 2010 at 11:32 pm
SillySarah BRONZE, Covert, Michigan

Live today as if there is no tomorrow.

I agree with you, this book was very deep. I actually enjoyed.

on Jul. 27 2010 at 10:42 pm
Tintinnabulation BRONZE, Glen Arm, Maryland

"Long enough have you dreamed contemptible dreams,
Now I wash the gum from your eyes,
You must habit yourself to the dazzle of the light and of every moment of your life."-Walt Whitman

Wow, I had no idea anyone could feel that way. I loved this book. It contains a powerful message about life and freedom. What repulsed you so much about it? I mean, maybe it was disturbing, but it included good symbolism and posed goood questions. And it seems you are bashing the ending just because it is so suspenseful and difficult to interpret. That's what I like.

on Jul. 27 2010 at 5:14 pm
DarkMountain BRONZE, Portland, Oregon

My eyes feel so heavy when the stars are calling me
- Join with us eternally -
I'm falling in deep trance and my powers are weakening
I'm falling in a world between dreams and reality
... I'm sailing away to undiscovered seas...
Oh time...

You said modestly.

on Jul. 27 2010 at 5:09 pm
DarkMountain BRONZE, Portland, Oregon

- Join with us eternally -
Oh time...

Instead of repeatedly saying how much you hated the book, include some SPECIFIC examples of what exactly was wrong with it.  Also, you were far too negative in your review.  Lois Lowry doesn't deserve all this bashing.  How would you feel if you wrote a book, ok, so maybe it was controversial, some people didn't like it, but overall it was well written and intriguing.  Then someone writes a review that says it's terrible, the worst book they've ever read.  That's just not fair.  Good critics will write not just about the bad parts of a book, but on the good parts too.

SciArc

MacMillan Books

Aspiring Writer? Take Our Online Course!