The Giver by Lois Lowry This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

After reading The Giver, I was left confused and disappointed. It seemed as if it would be interesting, but you can't judge a book by its cover. The contents were dull and predictable. Quite honestly, I wouldn't recommend it to any reader seeking a fine piece of literature. It just doesn't suffice.

The Giver is about a young boy named Jonas. He resides in a futuristic society in which each citizen is assigned a job, a spouse, and children. The children are born to mothers who will never get to see them. Trying not to give anymore away, I will only say that Jonas is assigned an important job and is challenged with the release of an innocent child. Jonas is left with the option of leaving his home, job, and family to save the child, or facing the harsh reality of his community and job, and enduring the release of the child.

This book was dreadful. I became more and more dissatisfied with each page. It was a waste of time and hardly made sense. I'll admit, there were a few interesting lines, but far too few to continue reading after the first chapter. Although I finished it, I regret doing so. It was, by far, the worst book I've ever picked up. It proved to be mediocre, no better than what the average person could conceive. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Anonymousperson said...
This is more of a hate speech than review. You have no facts to back up how or why the Giver is a bad book.

cynthia4always replied...
Jan. 22, 2011 at 12:12 pm :
what are you talking about? and every other person I know who rad that book loved it. and that would be the all the 7th and 8th graeders at my school . and it seems to me your not the average person.

Anonymousperson replied...
Jan. 25, 2011 at 5:16 pm :
I never said I thought that. The person who wrote this review is trying to tell us that the Giver is bad, but this person has no facts to back up why they think the Giver is a bad book. I actually thought the Give was really good.

cynthia4always replied...
Jan. 25, 2011 at 10:20 pm :
i didnt mean to comment on yours i meant to comment on the reveiw sorry

TheMesserSandman said...
I read this entire review twice and I have yet to find a single concrete reason why the Giver is a bad book. A review is your opinion, yes, but when there are no facts to back that up, then it turns into a rant.

RebirthedNovelist replied...
Jan. 20, 2011 at 1:41 pm :
Okay so TheMesserSandman has it right, you guys are ranting not reviewing

blackveilbrideschickies said...

I totally agree with you. The Giver sucks...Like worst book Ive ever read

Wolfheart said...

I'm sorry but I disagree, it was a very good book in my opinion...one thing I liked was that you never knew that there was no color until the giver said "you are beginning to see the color red."

Here's something: If you want to like this book more, read "I heard the owl call my name." THe giver will no longer be your least favorite book.

TheAsianHeather said...
I don't agree with you.I think this book is great,even if th ending is kind of disappointing.When I had to study The Giver in seventh grade,my language arts teacher said she hated it.I can kind of understand why you don't like it.

pablo_ivher said...
Jan. 1, 2011 at 7:53 am:
Unlike you it was a great book for me for the way in which it is written and also about the theme it was interesting to see how Jonas copes with the decision of leaving a society that expects a specific role for him but which imposes a harsh future.

Ariadne said...
Dec. 30, 2010 at 10:58 am:

I don't understand the number of negative comments on this review.  I believe in the complete democracy of the reader and no one should be criticized for not liking a book, in my opinion. There are lots of popular books and classics that I have read and disliked and I am sure that is true of everyone. I also want to make the point that just because a book has an interesting point or interesting concepts that really make you think, does not mean it is well written.  Has any... (more »)

Lonewolf1213 replied...
Dec. 31, 2010 at 8:53 pm :
I don't believe that people are trying to criticize the writer; I thought the article was well presented. However, this is the review section, and if someone were reading this to decide whether to read The Giver, they should know that this isn't the be all and end all opinion.

chey13 said...
I too read "The Giver" about 4 times. The first time I read it I was in 5th grade and I had no clue what in the world they were talking, but then a few years later I read it again and loved it. Many people I know that read it hated it and I felt different. I think young people and even adults will enjoy this book.

Lonewolf1213 said...

I, too, read The Giver, but I'm not quite sure that you and I read the same book. I found it thoroughly engaging, and, in fact, read it two more times. Some interesting concepts were persented, including the idea of a 'utopic' society. Is there any such thing?

As I mentioned, I think you and I read different books. Personally, 'The Giver', by Lois Lowry, is one of the best classics I have read, and would recommend it to anyone.

lovevpets replied...
Dec. 29, 2010 at 7:17 pm :
I agree with you.  The Giver is an amazing book with thought provoking themes.

writingrocksThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

I actually liked The Giver because of the morals presented within it. First of all, it made me appreciate the things I have. I have the power to see color and read and do many things that the people in that book weren't able to do. I know it's fiction, but it is still touching to know that, "Hey, I'm living here with my family and I'm able to do stuff that children everywhere can't do." Lois Lowry had the power to tell her reading audience that we should help children who are less fort... (more »)

Winter92 said...
Dec. 28, 2010 at 12:19 am:
As has been previously stated, the giver is a classic. Perhaps there was some misunderstanding or you simply lack the life experiences needed to appreciate it (which isn't your fault or anything against you, but a lot of people read classics too young and they go right over their head). Give it a try in a few/fifteen years. If you would like to clear up some confusion, you can try reading Lowry's Gathering Blue, which alludes to Jonas's fate. And if you didn't like the possible setting, m... (more »)

chey13 replied...
Dec. 28, 2010 at 7:17 pm :
I've been thinking of reading "Gathering Blue", and would just like to know how was it. Is it one of these books you can't put down, or just a waste of time. If it is as good as "The Giver" I will be glad to take the time to read it.

Winter92 replied...
Dec. 28, 2010 at 7:22 pm :
I liked it as much as the giver. It's sort of an ambiguous, unofficial sequel. I read it when I was in middle school so I don't remember it particularly well, but if you enjoyed the Giver, I think you'd like GB also.

Ariadne replied...
Dec. 29, 2010 at 2:31 pm :
I didn't like the Giver either, for genuine reasons.  I don't think that just because a book is a classic everyone should or will at some point enjoy it or agree with it.  I think it is unfair to the author of this well written review to undermine and dismiss their points so lightly.

gloriasinferno37 replied...
Feb. 10, 2011 at 9:29 am :
Gathering Blue was an amaizing book! I hated the giver, but Gathering Blue was a fantastic quick read!