The Giver by Lois Lowry This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

After reading The Giver, I was left confused and disappointed. It seemed as if it would be interesting, but you can't judge a book by its cover. The contents were dull and predictable. Quite honestly, I wouldn't recommend it to any reader seeking a fine piece of literature. It just doesn't suffice.

The Giver is about a young boy named Jonas. He resides in a futuristic society in which each citizen is assigned a job, a spouse, and children. The children are born to mothers who will never get to see them. Trying not to give anymore away, I will only say that Jonas is assigned an important job and is challenged with the release of an innocent child. Jonas is left with the option of leaving his home, job, and family to save the child, or facing the harsh reality of his community and job, and enduring the release of the child.

This book was dreadful. I became more and more dissatisfied with each page. It was a waste of time and hardly made sense. I'll admit, there were a few interesting lines, but far too few to continue reading after the first chapter. Although I finished it, I regret doing so. It was, by far, the worst book I've ever picked up. It proved to be mediocre, no better than what the average person could conceive. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Ariadne said...
Dec. 30, 2010 at 10:58 am:

I don't understand the number of negative comments on this review.  I believe in the complete democracy of the reader and no one should be criticized for not liking a book, in my opinion. There are lots of popular books and classics that I have read and disliked and I am sure that is true of everyone. I also want to make the point that just because a book has an interesting point or interesting concepts that really make you think, does not mean it is well written.  Has any... (more »)

Lonewolf1213 replied...
Dec. 31, 2010 at 8:53 pm :
I don't believe that people are trying to criticize the writer; I thought the article was well presented. However, this is the review section, and if someone were reading this to decide whether to read The Giver, they should know that this isn't the be all and end all opinion.

chey13 said...
I too read "The Giver" about 4 times. The first time I read it I was in 5th grade and I had no clue what in the world they were talking, but then a few years later I read it again and loved it. Many people I know that read it hated it and I felt different. I think young people and even adults will enjoy this book.

Lonewolf1213 said...

I, too, read The Giver, but I'm not quite sure that you and I read the same book. I found it thoroughly engaging, and, in fact, read it two more times. Some interesting concepts were persented, including the idea of a 'utopic' society. Is there any such thing?

As I mentioned, I think you and I read different books. Personally, 'The Giver', by Lois Lowry, is one of the best classics I have read, and would recommend it to anyone.

lovevpets replied...
Dec. 29, 2010 at 7:17 pm :
I agree with you.  The Giver is an amazing book with thought provoking themes.

writingrocks This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

I actually liked The Giver because of the morals presented within it. First of all, it made me appreciate the things I have. I have the power to see color and read and do many things that the people in that book weren't able to do. I know it's fiction, but it is still touching to know that, "Hey, I'm living here with my family and I'm able to do stuff that children everywhere can't do." Lois Lowry had the power to tell her reading audience that we should help children who are less fort... (more »)

Winter92 said...
Dec. 28, 2010 at 12:19 am:
As has been previously stated, the giver is a classic. Perhaps there was some misunderstanding or you simply lack the life experiences needed to appreciate it (which isn't your fault or anything against you, but a lot of people read classics too young and they go right over their head). Give it a try in a few/fifteen years. If you would like to clear up some confusion, you can try reading Lowry's Gathering Blue, which alludes to Jonas's fate. And if you didn't like the possible setting, m... (more »)

chey13 replied...
Dec. 28, 2010 at 7:17 pm :
I've been thinking of reading "Gathering Blue", and would just like to know how was it. Is it one of these books you can't put down, or just a waste of time. If it is as good as "The Giver" I will be glad to take the time to read it.

Winter92 replied...
Dec. 28, 2010 at 7:22 pm :
I liked it as much as the giver. It's sort of an ambiguous, unofficial sequel. I read it when I was in middle school so I don't remember it particularly well, but if you enjoyed the Giver, I think you'd like GB also.

Ariadne replied...
Dec. 29, 2010 at 2:31 pm :
I didn't like the Giver either, for genuine reasons.  I don't think that just because a book is a classic everyone should or will at some point enjoy it or agree with it.  I think it is unfair to the author of this well written review to undermine and dismiss their points so lightly.

gloriasinferno37 replied...
Feb. 10, 2011 at 9:29 am :
Gathering Blue was an amaizing book! I hated the giver, but Gathering Blue was a fantastic quick read!

Ariadne said...
Dec. 22, 2010 at 10:46 am:
I entirely agree with you! I read the Giver recently and I hated it.  By the way, I like Lois Lowry, so this was a disappointment.  The ending was confused and unsatisfactory, the suspense was almost nil, and the clipped writing style, while it worked well in the beginning, to give a sense of this different world, became tiresome.  Thanks for the thoughtful review!

TrenasiaLovesBooks replied...
Dec. 24, 2010 at 6:05 pm :
- i understand the weakness of the story but i thought it was rather cool & id love to be important to a whole community of people : ]

Ariadne replied...
Dec. 24, 2010 at 7:24 pm :
I can see where you're coming from, but I've read a lot of futuristic dystopia stories and I thought this one really fell flat.  The fact that it seems to be so popular puzzles me.

drmstarlet21 replied...
Mar. 4, 2011 at 9:18 pm :

It puzzles me, too.

To all of you people that are saying it's a classic, all that means is people really liked it years ago. Personally, I don't think it is that good. I understand that it was made-up, especially with the utopia society, but the characters in general didn't seem very real to me. I couldn't connect with them at all.

I feel like The Giver is similar to Animal Farm and 1984. Does anyone else agree?

Babygirl809 said...
The Giver is a classic. I can see how some people might not like it but i loved it!!! 

Harrypotter202abc This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

I loved this book! 

I read it for English class in 7th grade and understood it fine!

I think it not only is a fantastic story line, but depicts a metaphor of sameness with an overly controlling government.

nycsonya said...
Dec. 11, 2010 at 8:13 am:
I understand your point, but I strongly disagree. I was so moved by this book. The way it flowed, and the gift that Lois Lowry has that keeps us on the edge of our seats made this book fantastic. There was not a boring moment.

TheWordSmith replied...
Dec. 11, 2010 at 4:24 pm :
I agree with you completely, nycsonya. It is rare to find an author with such talent as Lois Lowry.

Medina D. said...

Just recently i had to read this book for English class, and i LIKED it. ALOT. Alot of kids in my class did.

It's not confusing at all.

It takes place in the future, where humans decided to go into sameness (meaning they tried to demolish all differences). Therefore, they created communities, where people can only see black & white, have no feelings, and live a very organized lifestyle with hardly any of the independence we have today. To accomplish this, people have to take... (more »)