The Giver by Lois Lowry This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

After reading The Giver, I was left confused and disappointed. It seemed as if it would be interesting, but you can't judge a book by its cover. The contents were dull and predictable. Quite honestly, I wouldn't recommend it to any reader seeking a fine piece of literature. It just doesn't suffice.

The Giver is about a young boy named Jonas. He resides in a futuristic society in which each citizen is assigned a job, a spouse, and children. The children are born to mothers who will never get to see them. Trying not to give anymore away, I will only say that Jonas is assigned an important job and is challenged with the release of an innocent child. Jonas is left with the option of leaving his home, job, and family to save the child, or facing the harsh reality of his community and job, and enduring the release of the child.

This book was dreadful. I became more and more dissatisfied with each page. It was a waste of time and hardly made sense. I'll admit, there were a few interesting lines, but far too few to continue reading after the first chapter. Although I finished it, I regret doing so. It was, by far, the worst book I've ever picked up. It proved to be mediocre, no better than what the average person could conceive. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

RunningTearsThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jan. 12 at 12:21 pm
I don't agree with you're point of view but can understand why someone would hold it having different taste.

NoushieRocksThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
The concept in The Giver was unique and interesting. It drew the reader into the story, but I feel the ending should have been more developed, even though there are sequels. Overall, I do recommend it to mature readers who can actually understand the hidden messages given in it. Perhaps people feel the story is boring because there isn't enough vivid or dramatic language used.

Queenbee316 said...
I am torn whether I liked this book or not. I did feel like it was a bit dull and I could tell what was coming next, but, I do feel that this book had a good Moral to it and was also inspiring. Jonas had to give up everything he had, his family, his job, and the safety of his home and community. You have got to have quite the amount of courage to do that! But, then again, I got really bored of the plot after awhile. I would recommend this book to people who like to read books like this, but ne... (more »)

mysteryone said...
I've found this review very interesting, but I disagree. I believe Jonas left the community, not only for Gabe, but for "everyone". It pained Jonas to think his family and friends could never experience the vibrancy of life nor the depth of emotions. For these reasons, Jonas chose to leave. Contrary to everyone's confusion, the sled depicted a new life for Jonas. It'd become one filled with colors and feelings. Meanwhile,the sled was a vehicle to carry him to that new beginning.

NoushieRocksThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Thanks for explaining what the 'sled' incident meant and portrayed, because honestly I didn't quite understand what significance it had. Perhaps I would get it now, if I re-read it. (I read the Giver in sixth grade).

EllieMayBThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Um.... I read the whole Giver Series and loved it! I didn't really want to read it at first, but my mom said I should. I have read the whole series twice, and it never gets old. I loved it! You should give it try.

ArtFowlerAkkey said...
Hey! I read this review and thought that I wanted to reply, so here goes: First off, you have given zero basis for your idea that this is a predictable story. What part of it was predictable? Why did you think so? Do you think it's something that you predicted, but the average man could not? When writing a review, especially a review on a Prize winner and classic, you're going to need to back your thoughts. As it stands, all your paper is right now is an opinion paper. For example: 'I knew from... (more »)

justmyexistentialthoughtsThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I think you may have missed the point- it's less about the story and more about the meaning behind it, which deals with the importance of emotion and free will and the dangers of giving up our freedom for security. The book was written at a fairly low level, so I can agree with and understand your discontent with its writing and style, but the novel does have some worth. The Giver is not meant to be an exceptionally good story, but to convey a message, so I think if you go back and look at it ... (more »)

Just_A_UsernameThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Aug. 4, 2015 at 9:16 am
I am stuck at a two way street with The Giver. Half of me wants to say that it is such an acclaimed novel because of the messages behind it, not to mention it is a dystopian classic. The other half is in agreement with the review writer. I thought Lois Lowry did a good job developing the story, but the only reason I continued to read it was because it was a required novel for school.

KittyKat1419This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

N.R.AnonThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Excellent review, but why did you dislike it so much? Your review could use more development-but your writing is brilliant!

CrappyReviewAbove said...
This is an excellent book and will give you plenty to think about. I was rather confused with the ending and would have been happier with a different one, but it is, of course, the writer's privilege to choose. But why does he suddenly come across the sled and the hill at the very end? It DOESN'T MATTER IF THE STORYLINE IS WEAK because the THE STRENGTH OF THE BOOK IS IN THE IDEAS AND THE COMMUNITY WHICH THE WRITER HAS CREATED.

RemusPenn said...
I have to say that I completely disagree. The Giver was written with a wonderful voice, the words were crafted expertly, and the plot was riveting. I never once found it to be boring or dull in any way, and I honestly feel you weren't really READING it. They don't give the Newberry Medal to any book, you know.

thecommenter said...
Apr. 22, 2015 at 10:50 am
this book was amazing I liked it I don't agree with the writer I thought it was really good I would recommend the book to every one but when we stop reading it made me want to read on I don't like your review don't be so mean that person worked hard to entertain us so don't be that way write a better review

thecritisizer said...
Apr. 22, 2015 at 10:47 am
this book waz amazane and I totally disagree with your opinion. I would recommened this book to every one by the way I am disappointed with your review and I disliked it so get your mind straight

thecritizer1 replied...
Apr. 27, 2015 at 9:49 am
@thecritisizer hey ive read every book in the world

Jessica said...
Apr. 22, 2015 at 10:42 am
I agree with you the book sucked

LegendKeeperThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Admittedly, the style needed work, and Jonas seemed a bit young to be experiencing some of the situations, and the plot itself was confusing, but it's a good wake up call. Honestly, it seems as if what we are experiencing in this age is a 'watered-down' version of what is portrayed. So yes, the book is someone hard to read, but the lesson is important too. (We just shouldn't abuse style for lesson)

Denisa replied...
I completely agree with you and I remember reading this in 8th grade and hating it; however I wasn’t the only one, in fact most of the kids in my grade hated the book. I think it’s mainly because when you’re that young and forced to read a book you automatically lose interest even more. But recently I re-read it and actually found myself…still hating it. I agree that this novel was boring and what I disliked the most about it was the ending. It left me feeling disappointed and kind of an... (more »)

catty98eThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I love this book very much, I read it in seventh grade and it was very insightful and twisting. but, i do respect your opinion