The Giver by Lois Lowry This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

After reading The Giver, I was left confused and disappointed. It seemed as if it would be interesting, but you can't judge a book by its cover. The contents were dull and predictable. Quite honestly, I wouldn't recommend it to any reader seeking a fine piece of literature. It just doesn't suffice.

The Giver is about a young boy named Jonas. He resides in a futuristic society in which each citizen is assigned a job, a spouse, and children. The children are born to mothers who will never get to see them. Trying not to give anymore away, I will only say that Jonas is assigned an important job and is challenged with the release of an innocent child. Jonas is left with the option of leaving his home, job, and family to save the child, or facing the harsh reality of his community and job, and enduring the release of the child.

This book was dreadful. I became more and more dissatisfied with each page. It was a waste of time and hardly made sense. I'll admit, there were a few interesting lines, but far too few to continue reading after the first chapter. Although I finished it, I regret doing so. It was, by far, the worst book I've ever picked up. It proved to be mediocre, no better than what the average person could conceive. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

catty98eThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
today at 3:26 pm
I love this book very much, I read it in seventh grade and it was very insightful and twisting. but, i do respect your opinion

annycs13This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 9 at 5:15 pm
In sixth grade my teacher made us rewrite the ending to the book because my whole class disliked it. It isn't a very good book, but the idea it conveys is very strong. I wouldn't recommend the book to anyone as well, but I think that it's a very good display of a true dystopian world according to a dictionary's definition.

nishka9 said...
Jan. 30 at 8:32 pm
I believe it depends on when you read this novel. The new books such as Divergent and The Hunger Games really brought out the Dystopian novels, but Th GIver really satrted the trend and people gained interest in the dystopian genre.

SophieSchnitzelThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Feb. 22 at 11:39 pm
The Giver was a REAL dystopian book. The most important thing for me in dystopian literature is to raise questions and The Giver did that. The problem with The Hunger Games and Divergent is that IT DIDN'T RAISE QUESTIONS AT ALL. I liked the Hunger Games and hated Divergent with a burning passion (sorry) but I was disappointed by both in that they didn't raise questions. They were barely dystopias. Well, they WERE dystopias, but all Divergent was for me was a romance (with dystopia in the backgro... (more »)

AlejandroG said...
Jan. 29 at 6:32 pm
Does anyone know that this book is part of a four piece set?

EllyApolloRoseThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Feb. 11 at 2:06 pm
I do! I've read three of four, I have yet to read "Son".

Bookworm4610 said...
Jan. 13 at 6:41 pm
I agree..This was an EXTREMLY Bland book... it had no "Flavor"

NoniDoniThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jan. 12 at 8:41 pm
I loved the book and will agree to disagree with you!

swiftie_emzThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Dec. 31, 2014 at 2:30 am
I agree with you at some places. I liked the book, but it was dull and the end just left me confused. WHY WOULD LOIS DO THAT TO US? And the movie that came out this year is even worse. I agree at places with you, but I think it was an okay book.

GirlGeniusThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I can't decide whether or not to read, "The Blood of Olympus." Can someone do a review on that?

Jonah H. This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Nov. 12, 2014 at 10:01 am
Well , I read The Giver in the 5 th grade , and I didn't see the point in it. The ending was good and heartfelt in my opinion , but the story just ......... sucks.

itserraticThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Its too late! I already read it! But i liked your review. I felt the same way at the ending. 

kingofwritersThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Aug. 8, 2014 at 10:53 am
I can understand why you don't like this book. I don't think it was dreadful, but it certainly wasn't a masterpiece. The idea surrounding the book is admittedly very unique and interesting, but everything else was just bland. Not dreadful...just bland.

absband said...
I loved thisbook my class read and I was ahead and finished in at least one day. It was confusing then it got more understanding by the time I finished.

micky d said...
I just finished reading this book in school, and it was so good that I read the whole book by the time the class was still on like chapter 14. I would recommend this book to anyone who likes to read.

Birdsinger said...
Personally, I found The Giver to be a great book. My fifth-grade teacher read it aloud to my class in Lit several years ago and--maybe it was just her prowess and fluency, but I don't think so--I really enjoyed it at the time. I think all Lois Lowry's books are worth at least picking up. She's a very talented writer, so if you think that The Giver is too "juvenile," I would recommend something else--the Austin series, for instance. Even if you di... (more »)

Jocospock replied...
May 30, 2014 at 10:03 am
I disagree 100% I loved that book, I remember reading it years ago when I was in the sixth grade, and I loved the book so much that I bought it and reread it like a year ago. It's amazing, an absolute thrill to read. Fabulous peice of literature, and if you found it confusing; maybe you just didn't understand the general message. I want to reread it again. I think I shall.

anonymous replied...
Nov. 20, 2014 at 9:28 am
I  read this book last year and I am in the 8th grade now, I for one Love the book but I love your opinion.  

Sunshine20023 said...
May 13, 2014 at 10:05 am
The giver is a very unique book and after reading it I found that it was a very complex book.

HayleyFther said...
May 1, 2014 at 5:45 am
I read this book and even though there are some points that i got tired and almost stopped reading,I still think it's worth to give it a try.