The Giver by Lois Lowry This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

After reading The Giver, I was left confused and disappointed. It seemed as if it would be interesting, but you can't judge a book by its cover. The contents were dull and predictable. Quite honestly, I wouldn't recommend it to any reader seeking a fine piece of literature. It just doesn't suffice.

The Giver is about a young boy named Jonas. He resides in a futuristic society in which each citizen is assigned a job, a spouse, and children. The children are born to mothers who will never get to see them. Trying not to give anymore away, I will only say that Jonas is assigned an important job and is challenged with the release of an innocent child. Jonas is left with the option of leaving his home, job, and family to save the child, or facing the harsh reality of his community and job, and enduring the release of the child.

This book was dreadful. I became more and more dissatisfied with each page. It was a waste of time and hardly made sense. I'll admit, there were a few interesting lines, but far too few to continue reading after the first chapter. Although I finished it, I regret doing so. It was, by far, the worst book I've ever picked up. It proved to be mediocre, no better than what the average person could conceive. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

LarkbirdThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
today at 1:38 pm:
and we find out even more about him by reading Gathering Blue and Son ;)

WilliamNThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 27 at 3:20 pm:
Some people here say that this book was very "childish" and "intended for children" but I don't think so. I found it a very good book, and it teaches people that creativity and breaking out from everyday order can be a good thing.

JesusandHisLawyersThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 25 at 9:53 pm:
I feel like I've posted about the Giver before, so bare with me. The Giver is, at its core, a book intended for children with a very simple and childish understanding of literature, and by extension, what makes good literature. It takes some concepts that have been used before many times, and often used better (I think sombody mentioned Anthem?) and wraps them into an easy to swallow and simplistic chunk of nothing. That's what it is, really. Nothing. Charactres so flat that you can'... (more »)

EllyApolloRoseThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 19 at 12:25 pm:
I really loved this book, but when you read it, you have to keep an open mind. It was very confusing at first, but when i reread it, it was better. There are multiple sequals/books about the same utopian world. If you still have problems understanding the book, you should also read the others, they might help you understand it a little better. This is just my opinion though, but i really love the "what if" factor of utopian books.

WrappedUpInBooksThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 9 at 9:26 am:
I read this in the seventh grade and was not very interested. I've been meaning to re-read it, but to be honest my memory of it is basically summed up by this review. It was a bit confusing and the end really bugged me. Out of all the dystopian fiction I have read, this was probably my least favorite. 

FunneThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 5 at 6:18 pm:
This is a very good book to me. I think it shows why a Utopia might not be a good idea. 

wildandfree13 said...
Feb. 4 at 12:33 pm:
i completly disagree this book was interesting and worth while reading this book was very intersting 

HelloKitty456 said...
Feb. 4 at 12:32 pm:
WildandFree13 says you make Horrible Book Review and disagrees.

cometear said...
I competely agree. This book sucked.

Thomas.S.B.This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I have to disagree. The giver is anything but a dull and predictable book and that is the exact word I would use to describe it, fine. The plot is enticing and makes you want to keep reading. And the idea of a world where you have to learn to see color is incredible. Lois Lowry composes an unforgettable piece, inextricable from the group of top kids novels of all time.

dFNihegihGIrhgiRI said...
the book was confusing since u dont hav any experience to relate to in terms of finding the lights and all. and my teaxcher completely changed the meaning so that might hav beeen the reson  didnt get i. frankly, he thought he knew everything. anything he says is right. at the end of the book he said that the kids die cuz thats what happens when u faint or something, u c what u wanna c or something?? anyway he "faints and "dies" at the end of the book. so i was confused. i ask... (more »)

super_slim_77 replied...
Jan. 5 at 11:27 pm :
well said. noone could hav said it better

KestrelThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Aug. 9, 2013 at 10:00 am:
While I enjoyed The Giver the first (and only) time I read the book, I now agree whole-heartedly with you, as I have since read Anthem by Ayn Rand. Anthem was written literally decades before The Giver, and is the exact same concept, with almost identical characters and plot developement, only it is written beautifully. You should read it next; it is very short, and unlike The Giver, it is original.

ramfthomas4This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 1, 2013 at 7:52 pm:
I'm sorry, but I disagree with you.  I read this book and would recommend it to any aquantaince.  It is truly a fine piece of literature.  If one is expecting the usual sci-fi action adventure, I could see how you would be disapointed, but I found this to be a meaningful and poignant read.

Bookworm77 said...
May 1, 2013 at 10:26 pm:
I have to completely disagree, when read correctly and thoroughly, this book is one of the best novels writtenin modern society. To understand the novel, you must understand symbolism and you must be able to correctly identify many symbols in very close relation while actively reading the book (taking notes on book, re-reading sections). Once fully read correctly, the book is by far, one of the best books I've ever read, but you have read carefully and slowly and understand the allusions and... (more »)

EllyApolloRoseThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Mar. 19 at 12:27 pm :
I completely agree, this book was awsome!! Have you read any of the sequals?

Brittmiller said...
May 1, 2013 at 9:00 am:
There are many other books after it if you read all of them it may make more sense to you.

Bluetooth13This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
woah! hold up. This book is 100% pure awesome. I higly recomend it. Also, im pretty new. Please check out my work :)

tuckertwin12 said...
I would highly recommend this book to anyone. It had a great message, was easy to understand, and was marvelously written. Definitely read it!

TexTgr said...
Your review is baseless; you provide no evidence to back up your claims.  Until you can come up with something substantial, I, along with the rest of the reviewers who have actually read and understood the book, will continue to praise the story which opened the eyes of millions of readers to what a dystopian society looks like (18 years before The Hunger Games), and the decisions The Community made to take it there. What does it mean to be a human being?  Based on ... (more »)