Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows by J.K. Rowling | Teen Ink

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows by J.K. Rowling

By lb188kb BRONZE, Aurora, Illinois
lb188kb BRONZE, Aurora, Illinois

Would you ever think of Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows as a funny book? You would think with a name like “Deathly Hallows” and the subject matter of the famous series of books about witches and wizards that it would be dark and creepy. It’s true, this book was dark and creepy at times, but it did have some hilarious moments in it.

J.K. Rowling cleverly puts together words to make an unforgettable line. On page 444, I distinctly remember Fred Weasley saying on a radio broadcast that, “Lord Voldemort could move faster than Severus Snape being confronted with shampoo.” I laughed so hard at that because from the descriptions in the book, Severus Snape has incredibly greasy and oily hair.

The author also makes the characters do things that are completely unexpected. On page 625, towards the end of the book, Harry Potter’s best friends Ron and Hermoine end up kissing right in the middle of a battle against Lord Voldemort and his army. The timing of it was just so off you had to laugh. It lightened a very intense scene.

Another example of verbal humor is on page 759. This is the very end of the book so I hope I don’t give anything away and spoil the ending. It says that Harry’s son, Albus, is wondering why people are staring at him. Ron who was standing next to Harry and Albus, told him not to worry because, “It’s me. I’m extremely famous.” However, it’s obvious that the famous one is Harry and it’s very funny that Ron would soak up the attention and think it was all for him.

Even though on the surface, Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows doesn’t seem like a funny book, don’t be fooled. I definitely recommend reading this book, but you would want to read the first six books in the serious so you don’t get lost trying to figure it out. The book was full of suspense and some horror because numerous characters die. However, the story couldn’t be told without the sometimes silly actions of the characters and the incredible lines of humor. It all works together to lighten the overall book and make for incredibly fun reading.