The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan | Teen Ink

The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan

October 13, 2010
By Anonymous

The Forest of Hands and Teeth is not only a good book but also a good read. What makes it a good book is the fact that it is such a delightful example of setting for literary qualities. The setting that the author of this tale, Carrie Ryan, creates is grim, graphic, and gripping, and will keep your eyes glued to the pages until the book is over.
Imagine a world over-run with a disease that will turn you into an “unconsecrated”, which is quite a bit like a zombie. Now imagine that you live in a small town surrounded by a thin fence that keeps these flesh-craving creatures from infecting you and turning you into one of their own. Think about if this small, zombie-surrounded town was controlled by a group of people called the Sisterhood, which keeps secrets from the rest of the town. This doesn’t sound too fun, does it?
The main character of this amazingly creative story is a girl named Mary, who has for all of her life wanted to travel to the ocean, which she believes with all of her heart is the perfect place, away from the never-ceasing moans of hunger tumbling from the unconsecrated. Mary runs into some trouble with love all throughout this story, only increasing the tension in this wonderful story.
I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys a good love story, a great work of fiction, or a nice quick read. If you do read this book and enjoy it, Carrie Ryan came out with a sequel , The Dead Tossed Waves.