Coffeehouse Angel by Suzanne Selfors This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

I don't think I have ever read such an exceptional book. It's an amazing balance of teen lit and meaningful fiction. And the plot is so original, too.

Coffeehouse Angel is about a sophomore named Katrina, who works 24/7 at her grandma's coffee shop. Next door, their biggest coffeehouse rival, Java Heaven, is earning more business than ever, with their eco-friendly cups and unique flavors. Katrina knows that no one really wants to buy her grandma's old-fashioned Scandinavian coffee anymore except a few old folks who are just trying to support them. Katrina and her grandma are struggling to survive. Java Heaven's owner offers to pay them to shut down their business, but Katrina and her grandma are too dignified to do that.

Then Katrina gives a cup of coffee to a "homeless" man who is actually a messenger angel who tries to grant her one wish, but she still believes he is crazy and so she avoids him. She can't figure out what it is she really wants, so she just makes up wishes and give them to someone else. Her world is turned upside down when she realizes this man is indeed who he claims to be, and she finds herself falling in love... And then a few huge incidents occur, and she discovers a couple of secrets about herself, her past, her family, and Java Heaven.

I'd recommend this book to everyone and anyone. It's definitely not your typical novel, but it's interesting all the way up to the end, with an intriguing twist. Check it out from the library - I read it in 2 hours and I can't wait to read Suzanne Selfor's other books!

starsy said...
This book was incredible! The best were the last 2 pages about Malcom. (chapter 35)

JRsingersongwriter This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Oct. 17, 2010 at 6:04 pm :
utterly and completely agree!! katrina's so selfless!

WhiteShadows said...
I've never heard or read the book before but the title intereested me. I think I will read it. Nice review, too! You put in your honest opinion and described the book perfectly. Plus, it was so good, now I want to read it! Thanks.

Oct. 14, 2010 at 8:29 pm :
thanks! so glad u liked it :)