Abhorsen by Garth Nix

Garth Nix somehow masterfully ties a bow over this hell of a world. Seriously, cheers for him. This world he has created is so raw—-the portrayal of a world between Life and Death, the bells as a form of magic, and the path into Death as a river with Nine Gates are all very unique. The main characters have developed over the course of this journey and they’re all out there fighting in one of the best climatic battles I’ve read.

It took me a while to read this book, though. There were parts that were dull and frustrating, and there are a few plot-based explanations that are needed as well. Also, I was wishing to see a relationship between Lirael and Nick, and though Nix hints at a connection between them, he leaves it at that. Oh well, maybe we see more of them in Across the Wall, the companion book of short stories, featuring Nick.

You wouldn't want to be left hanging forever at the end of Lirael, I hope. So go ahead and find yourself a copy of Abhorsen. It really is a satisfying end to this marvelous fantasy trilogy.