Change of Heart by Shari Maurer | Teen Ink

Change of Heart by Shari Maurer

By Zoe_T PLATINUM, New City, New York
Zoe_T PLATINUM, New City, New York

"Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened." -Dr. Seuss

How much do you know about the human heart? or the rhythmic beat that keeps you alive? How often much do you think about it? You’ve got plenty of time to live, right? Your heart is not going anywhere. It is staying right in your body… right?

In Shari Maurer’s powerful debut novel titled Change of Heart, the author writes about teen love and the acutal importance of the human heart. She visits a dark area seldom written about by other authors. She traverses the mechanics of cardiology with such ease, infusing it into a mesmerizing novel, creating a memorable story.
Emmi Miller is an athletic sixteen-year-old soccer star that has it all. Except for one tiny detail. She needs a heart transplant or she will die. The plot has twists and turns, unforgettable characters with strong voices, a beatufiul love story, and this stunning theme. The challenges Emmi faces create a thrilling page-turner for all ages.
At a time when teens are learning about matters of 1the heart, Maurer writes a dream story on the subject. The dramatic reality as the plot unfolds creates a story no one should miss. The spectacular connection between the fully developed characters adds to the suspense of the captivating story about a girl’s struggle for her life.
Change of Heart is a young adult novel that should be on everyone’s "must read" list. Maurer’ novel is poignant and unforgettable. The valuable information about the heart and the lifestyle necessary to maintain a healthy body, is the perfect message for today’s teens.