Exodus by Leon Uris | Teen Ink

Exodus by Leon Uris MAG

July 7, 2010
By tuzik SILVER, Martinsville, New Jersey
tuzik SILVER, Martinsville, New Jersey
5 articles 0 photos 37 comments

I never expected a book to change my life – but this one did. The moment I picked up Exodus, I could not put it down.

Uris covers so much. He describes with meticulous detail many major events and developments spanning decades, and gives the life stories of dozens of characters: Israelis, Americans, and Europeans, all of whom become involved in the creation of the State of ­Israel.

The plot begins with a trick: the man we believe is a major character all but vanishes by the fiftieth page, and the woman we thought was a minor character is in fact the protagonist. Meanwhile, new characters from different times shuffle in and out, as the author manages to keep the plot organized and captivating.

What is so special about Eretz Yisrael, the Land of Israel? It's a question that has taken historians, writers, philosophers, rabbis, priests, and others years to answer. Personally, I do not think anyone can ever find a final answer, but Uris certainly comes close.

I would recommend this book to anyone interested in understanding more about their religious identity, learning the modern history of the most holy land on earth, or just being exposed to an extremely well-written historical novel.