The Silent Boy by Lois Lowry

“The Silent Boy” is yet another one of Newbery Medal-winning author Lois Lowry’s incredibly thought-provoking novels. I have read quite a few of her books, and though each one never fails to impress me, this was one of my favorites by a long shot. In “The Silent Boy”, Lowry creates fictional characters with powerful personalities, which she places in the historical time period of the early 1900’s. The story’s narrator is Katy, an intelligent little girl whose innocence towards the horrors of the world is starting to slip away. Katy hopes to be a doctor someday like her father. She is particularly observant for her age, and takes interest in studying the people around her.

Katy develops a certain curiosity for a mentally disabled boy in town. Jacob is mute, but he is gentle beyond comparison and has a certain way with animals. Katy sees much more in Jacob than the people around her do. He does not speak with her, but they form a type of understanding with each other as they spend time together with the horses in the stable. Katy is the only person who understands Jacob’s true intentions when he makes a terrible mistake.

The Horn Book Magazine calls this novel “emotionally devastating and infinitely haunting.” Though the book isn’t suitable for a child’s bedtime story, its ability to grasp the heart of the reader amazes me. Lowry balances tear-jerking material with humor to create an unforgettable and historically-accurate novel. An antique photograph precedes each chapter to contribute to the already strong sense of setting.
I found this book both brilliant and deeply touching. I strongly recommend it to all teenagers and young adults.

many said...
Dec. 4, 2013 at 4:25 am
who are all the character of this novel?

Amiee said...
Oct. 9, 2010 at 7:12 am
this is one of my favorite lois lowry too. it makes you think alot, how ppl actually behave.... Great Review! :)

A_Dreamer said...
Great review! I love her books, but I haven't read that one yet, that review definitely made me want to read it though. Great job! :)

gymbabe This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Wow, you made me really want to read that!  I love Lois Lowry, she's an amazing writer.  I hate the way she ended the Giver, it just leaves you wondering what actually happened.  This was very grabbing and well-expressed.  Nice job.

sunnyhunny This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
I know what you mean, I hate the way she ended The Giver!  It didn't make much sense to me.  And thank you!

OfficialApprover This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...

No problem!

And yeah, it was reeeally up to interpretation.