Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes

Flowers for Algernon

Here is one of my many theories; we all take a piece of person from each person we know in order to build ourselves. We start out as one Lego Block of personality which clicks to other Lego blocks that we take to help create a statue, which makes us. Now my point is that we sometimes take a Lego block from things like book characters, and Charlie from Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes was the perfect character from a remarkable book to build the ideal Lego city from.

Because of stereotype we associate being mentally retarded with being so stupid they cannot do anything and that is a stereotype, which should be known as a injudicious stereotype as all are; everyone has a story to be told, Charlie’s story although fiction was truly remarkable and contravene from most stories of mentally disabled people.

Flowers for Algernon was simply engrossing; Charlie Gordon with the help of Daniel Keyes provided an outstanding amount of personality, to create one of the most superb fictional stories I have ever read. The daily recorded journey of Charlie from when he was mentally retarded to his mental advancement was both fascinating and moving. The story also explored the emotional journey Charlie had to endure which became a major challenge for the protagonist.

Now that I have read the book, I was patiently waiting to find the last movie made for Flowers for Algernon which was… a disappointment compared to the magnitude of the book. But all shall be restored because Will Smith is supposedly making a remake of the movie. Do not stray away from the book because of its unfortunate remakes; Daniel Keyes is a wonderfully contravene author who should never be doubted.

ThisBreRulezYouSonnn said...
Aug. 17, 2010 at 7:32 am:
GREAT book. I read the short story and came across the novel on a trip to the library... brilliant and unique, but its more for adults than someone of my age, not only for the sexual content but also because this book is very broad in the vocab-department and you might not understand what he's talking about XP but the emotion and the relationships and the people in this book.... beautiful. Read it. It's perfect for Winter OR Summer :)

PrincessAzaria said...
Jul. 8, 2010 at 10:54 am:
That was a tremendous review of Flowers for Algernon. Although I have never read it, and never thought of reading it, you have made me have a sudden change of mind. Despite the fact that before the book sounded terribly boring and made me want to penetrate right past it, I think maybe I'll think again.

Sarahj11235 replied...
Jul. 8, 2010 at 5:13 pm :
Thank You!!!!! :) :) :) :)