The Heretic’s Daughter by Kathleen Kent This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

This captivating historical fiction is based on the real childhood of Sarah Carrier Chapman. In 1690, Sarah and her family move from Billerica to the Puritan town of Andover, Massachusetts.

As her ears catch rumors of witchcraft, we recognize that the epidemic of fear spread by the Salem Witch Trials was not deterred by town borders. Superstition creeps in from Salem, and before long, citizens of Andover are being accused of signing the Devil's book. The Carrier family is unpopular in town, and Sarah's mother is soon accused of witchcraft. We view this dark period in history through a child's eyes as Sarah and her family are unjustly faced with earthshaking decisions.

Kent accomplishes what few authors have: creating a powerful novel from the perspective of a child. She combines five years of research with stories of her ancestor Martha Carrier to create a bone-chilling novel like no other. She brings life to these forgotten figures, giving them personalities that reflect their actions and experiences.

This story is heartbreaking and difficult to put down. I recommend it to anyone mature enough to handle this topic, because the Salem Witch Trials are part of an era we must never forget.

mudpuppy said...
Jul. 24, 2010 at 5:46 pm:

That's true, we don't want to repeat what evil deeds were done in history.

Historical fiction isn't usually the genre of fiction that I read, but this review has slightly peak my curiosity.

sunnyhunny This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jul. 25, 2010 at 4:33 pm :
It was a good book... I suggest you give it a try.

gymbabe This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 10, 2010 at 1:10 pm:
Wow, the review itself was chilling, I can only imagine what the book must be like!  And I agree, the Salem Witch Trials were a horrible time in history, and they, like other terrible events, like the Holocaust, the World Wars, the Crusades, and the Inquistion, and many more, must not be forgotten, so we do not repeat our mistake.

Jul. 13, 2010 at 8:41 pm :
Thanks so much for reading my stuff!

gymbabe This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jul. 13, 2010 at 8:44 pm :
It's no problem.