The Truth About Forever by Sarah Dessen | Teen Ink

The Truth About Forever by Sarah Dessen

By dEvan-ashLey SILVER, White Plains, New York
dEvan-ashLey SILVER, White Plains, New York

Wake up every morning as if it was on purpose...

It’s a regular day your dad wakes you up to go running, you answer no, then a few minutes later get up out of your bed and run out to join him. Only something’s wrong very wrong, you look over to see your neighbor doing CPR on your dad and suddenly your life is changed ,everything continues on going its way while your path is changed forever.

When Macys father dies she is devastated, convinced it’s her fault Macy enters a state of grief. Until she is reeled out by Shakespeare and a boy named Jason. Then summer comes and so does the time for brain camp for Jason. Leaving Macy behind with an organized plan for the summer. Working a job at the library, studying SATs to with her free time assisting her frazzled mom on the verge of opening her luxury town houses. But when her mom holds a party to help with the town houses she will be opening Macy is asked to help her summer plans take a turn and are headed for a completely unpredictable summer that ends up opening her eyes and having her face the truth about forever.

The theme in this book is simple perfection is not possible, you just have to open your eyes and realize it. Or maybe its leave the past in the past. Oh or things change, but maybe it’s just be yourself. This book is full of many themes so it can’t be pinned down to one, and these are just a few. The theme depends on you.

From the first page I was honestly not impressed, but something kept pulling me in for more, and finally I was hooked. The mixture and feeling of sorrow for Macy while watching her chase perfection or the anticipation of drama on the next page. Each character has interesting twist. Sarah Dessen doesn’t hold back on taking YOU on Macy’s journey through. During the book I felt like I was in North Carolina right beside Macy and I could feel my heart beat speed up and slow down. Reading this book eliminated the world around me and took me on a journey the way reading is supposed to.

I’ve never lost someone really close to me, but many times been on the verge of losing my mom. And when Macy loses her dad I feel instant sympathy for her. The pain of losing a parent is life changing its even worse when you don’t get to say goodbye. My short time of almost is nothing compared to what Macy had to go through but still is easy to relate to.

This is a definite must read and should be put on your summer reading list and in your beach tote. This is a book for mature young adults and really brings you into the real world. For a traditional life lessons all in one book you have chosen the right book. Full of many valuable lessons and in the midst of a girl’s favorite book, a love story.

on Aug. 25 2010 at 11:40 am
Alice_in_Wonderland GOLD, San Clemente, California

“I could give up, I could stay stuck, or I could move on, So I put one foot front of the other, No no no nothing’s gonna break my stride, “ –David Archuleta (The Other Side of Down)

Oops. Sorry. At the beggining of my last comment when I said greta review, i meant great review. Sorry. I don't know why but, for some reason I always do that.

on Aug. 25 2010 at 11:39 am

Greta review. Sounds like an awesome book. Do you know where I can get it?  Oh, and by the way I hope you don't mind some constructive critism. Don't worry, I only found a few things that really stood out.(If you read any of my writing, you can do the same thing to me.)Anyway,"But when her mom holds a party to help with the town houses she will be opening Macy is asked to help her summer plans take a turn and are headed for a completely unpredictable summer that ends up opening her eyes and having her face the truth about forever. " Tis a runon sentence and didn't read to easily. Youc ould probably put some commas or a period and break it up into two sentences."My short time of almost is nothing compared to what Macy had to go through but still is easy to relate to.  " The beggining of that sentence is a little awkard and I think you could've reworded it differently. Other than those you did a really nice job and I definelty want to read this book sometime.