Stormbreaker by Anthony Horowitz | Teen Ink

Stormbreaker by Anthony Horowitz MAG

By Saiyori BRONZE, Harpers Ferry, West Virginia
Saiyori BRONZE, Harpers Ferry, West Virginia

Stormbreaker is an action-packed adventure about a teenage spy. Set in London, as well as a computer factory, it is the story of one boy's determination to save the world.

Fourteen-year-old Alex Rider thinks he is an average teen­ager, until the day his uncle dies. Alex then discovers that the rich uncle who raised him was not the banker he thought, but a British spy. Once this is revealed, Alex is drawn into a world of secrets and spies, missions and gadgets, danger and death. In order to save millions of children from a type of smallpox, Alex is forced into an organization he wants no part of. He becomes a young James Bond!

Anthony Horwitz is a great writer. His use of sarcasm, dry humor, and teen angst – combined with his articulate use of language and insight into the teen mind – result in an amazing story. It's a real cliffhanger that had me on edge the whole time. It's an adventure you won't soon forget.

I think everyone should read Stormbreaker, especially if you're an action-adventure fan. Anyone who likes James Bond will love this book.

this is one of my favorite books and one of my favorite series. I just LOVE this kind of story!

on Aug. 25 2015 at 10:17 am
No, he's even better than James Bond! Although James Bond is great for action-lovers, Alex Rider is just funnier, and since he's a teenager it makes everything that bit more relatable. If you prefer action over comedy, Alex Rider is still a great combination of both!

on Aug. 25 2015 at 10:13 am
StormBreaker is one of my favourite books. Imagine what it would be like to work for a top-secret spy agency where every step you take has a risk, let alone only being a troubled teenager! This book is the beginning of one unfortunate schoolboy’s life who has to live with the predicament. Orphaned at an early age, he inherited the job from a relative. Set in present day England, a fourteen year old boy, Alex Rider, is suddenly thrown in to a death-defying situation. When Alex’s uncle mysteriously dies in a car accident, he is forced to take his uncle’s place as a spy in MI6, Britain’s classified spy organisation. Little did he know that as soon as his training was complete, Alex would be tossed into a deadly mission to spy on Herod Sayle, the mastermind behind the newest computer: StormBreaker. Using pure instinct and his own intelligence, Alex must fight for his life, as well as save the people of Britain. Anthony Horowitz writes StormBreaker in a very unique way. Suspense is built by him in every inch of the book, he’s descriptive in detail, and is very creative. From Alex being recruited as a spy to dodging overpowered bullets, this book makes your heart race with anxiety. However, though some would see this as a good thing, Horowitz made this book a little too unrealistic. It is almost impossible for anyone to imagine a teenager being able to escape from circumstances that most adults - let alone people his age - cannot survive from. For example, how can someone so young get caught in a fifteen feet deep and thirty feet long tank with a giant jellyfish inside and still manage to survive? Even though it’s not likely a teenager would survive, Alex’s age makes it that bit more relatable for the majority of his readers. If I were to rate this book, I would have to rate it approximately nine out of ten. Fast-paced and exciting, it kept me on the edge of my seat the entire time. I recommend this book for ages about ten to sixteen who love action, suspense, mystery, and being able to relate all mixed together in one book! I thoroughly enjoyed StormBreaker as I’m sure anyone else who dares to enter Alex’s thrilling, dangerous world would. I, upon many others, will certainly read the rest of the Alex Rider series!

on Apr. 3 2011 at 1:47 am
Melinda Myers, Carnation, Washington
I thought this series was fabulous! They were gone in three weeks, even Snakehead. Alex is seriously a teen James Bond.

IluvJesus BRONZE, Stone Mountain, Georgia
I luv the Alex Rider series one of my favorites. His first books are kinda weak but as they progress they get better