hoops

I had never really liked reading, and I thought it was a waste of time. But when my teacher told me to go to the library and find a book, I looked for one that I was actually interested in. I love basketball, so I picked out a basketball book, and it was called “Hoops” by Walter Dean Myers. It is an incredible story, and I highly recommend it to anyone who loves basketball, and overcoming obstacles.

This story is about a High school ball player named Lonnie. He is an amazing basketball player; and dreams of playing basketball in college someday, and of course in the National Basketball Association (N.B.A.)

Lonnie lives in Harlem, NY, and is struggling through poverty, and other struggles. He doubts his new couch, Cal, and doesn't think that he'll be there for his new team. He soon realizes what the man has done in his past, and can completely connect with him. Cal soon becomes a huge impact on Lonnie, and they face many challenges. It is an amazing novel, and I really suggest everyone to read it.

This book makes me think about how hard it would be to grow up in a rough city. I have realized that basketball is a great way to escape the struggles us humans face. I have learned a lot from this book, and I think that anyone who reads it will too.

I am now reading more Walter Dean Myers books, and he has became my favorite author. A lot of his books are about growing up in Harlem, just like he once did. From this story, you will learn that the people around you really affect who you are, and how much it helps to have the support of family and friends in your life. I hope you enjoy this book as much as I did.

cait19 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 13, 2010 at 9:33 am
This review is good, but it's bias. You said that you went into the book expecting it to be good because you like basketball. It was the only reason you picked it up. Even if this were the case, a good critic would not include that detail. The entire first paragraph is unnecessary and bias. Try to focus on the elements of the story that drew you in and made you enjoy the book rather than your own life. I hope you take my critiques wisely and keep writing, you are on the right track! 

nickbrnc replied...
I DONT JUST LIK BASKETBALL I LIK SOCCER TO SO HHHHHHAAAAAAAHHHHAAAAHHHHAAA

xxcmcxx This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
haha! well then nevermind on the bias!