The Body of Christopher Creed by Carol Plum-Ucci | Teen Ink

The Body of Christopher Creed by Carol Plum-Ucci

May 31, 2010
By Hannah Markay BRONZE, Milano, Ohio
Hannah Markay BRONZE, Milano, Ohio
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The Body of Christopher Creed

A mysterious disappearance, unveiled skeletons in the townsfolk’s closets, and the crashing down of previously accepted opinions of the world are just three of the clever combination of elements that make this novel so captivating. When the town freak, Christopher Creed, is suddenly gone leaving behind him only a cryptic letter to the principle of the high school, the balance of small-town Steepletown, New Jersey is completely overturned without showing any signs of ever going back to normal. This thrilling tale is told through the eyes of Torey Adams, a sixteen-year-old football player who, on the outside, seems to have a perfect life: popular friends, a talent for music, rich and influential parents and a beautiful girlfriend. Upon reading the letter, Torey discovers his name among those mentioned as the people Creed would have most liked to be. This uncomfortable truth sends him head first into a quest to figure out the truth, a strenuous path that will change his vision of life and his place within it forever. He is forced to come to terms with the reality that up close no one’s life is perfect, many in his town have painful and intriguing secrets lurking in their past veiled only by denial and their own prejudice. A beautifully written story by Carol Plum –Ucci that has something to teach people of all age groups about the destructive power of gossip, first impressions proven wrong and the fear of assuming responsibility that renders it easier to point the finger rather than to accept you own share of the blame. Rarely do you find such a novel that will not only keep you utterly engrossed in the story, but also inspire reflections on the imperfections and hidden secrets in your own community.