Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck | Teen Ink

Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck

By ElJefe1996 BRONZE, Huntington, West Virginia
ElJefe1996 BRONZE, Huntington, West Virginia

Of Mice and Men is a book that will take your breath away. The book is filled with suspense, but at the same time it has calmness. Friendship and rivalry collide as they both battle to come out on top. Will Lennie and George fail or prevail in their quest for happiness.
Of Mice and Men has two main characters, Lennie and George. They set out to look for temporary work until they make enough money to leave. They stop at a farm outside of Soledad, California. Here they meet many characters that help them meet some of the expectations for their quest. They work over a span of two days until a murder is committed. Lennie eventually flees. Then, a murder much worse than the first one is committed.
Nobody is perfect and Of Mice and Men depicts this message. Lennie may have the mind of a child, but he also has the heart of a man.
In the end, Of Mice and Men is an excellent book. The fact that the author contrasts the different personalities of the characters is amazing. Like before, suspense is eventually relieved by calmness. For example, Lennie fights Curly, but George calms the tense situation. The book takes friendship on a rollercoaster ride from happiness to sadness.