Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck | Teen Ink

Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck

By alexandria hurley BRONZE, Huntington, West Virginia
alexandria hurley BRONZE, Huntington, West Virginia

Of Mice and Men by: John Steinbeck
“five stars"- (outstanding)

If you like stories about the power of friendships, very blunt honesty, hope, and the so called “American Dream” then this is the book for you.

This book is about two men. Lennie and George. Lennie is a big man with the mind of a small child while George is a small man who takes care of Lennie and sees him like a brother. They are homeless men living in the 1930s working on a work ranch. They have a dream (The American Dream) about one day owning their own house and farm together and having a good life, like most people wanted back then. While working on the ranch they are faced with many conflicts. It has a sad but yet hopeful and shocking ending.

I personally think this is a tremendous book about the true meaning of friendship, hope, and the way people treat outsiders. Steinbeck is such an amazing author; all of his books have a message or meaning. This one sends many, but the one I would have to point out is the message about how we treat other people. Some may say “This book is offending” or “Racist”, but you know what? It’s the truth. Everything that is happening in this book is a real life problem we see every day. People treat other people terribly because of their race or mental problems etc. Steinbeck really hit the spot in this book talking about it. He is just so honest and that’s what makes this book so enjoyable. It may have a very miserable but yet happy ending, but I can assure you that you will be in tears by the time you finish reading this book.

This book truly touches your heart and like I have said repeatedly sends you a message. Everything Steinbeck writes in the book he does for a reason, he doesn’t do it to fill up blank spaces. He does it to show you something or to help you understand what the book is all about and the message he is trying to show you by the story, and I really liked how Steinbeck wrote this story in a dialect setting so we can get a better understanding of the characters and their situations and what they were going through.

In conclusion my final review of the outstanding book would be five stars (outstanding) and it would be suitable for the ages of about 13 and up . The book is so heartfelt and sad and makes you have all these emotions. It tells a tremendous story and you may have a different opinion then I do, or see a different message then I do after you have read it, but I can promise you our views will be very similar. If or when you read this I can assure you that your eyes will be glued the whole time !