Vibes by Amy Kathleen Ryan | Teen Ink

Vibes by Amy Kathleen Ryan

May 28, 2010
By Alinaaa BRONZE, Seattle, Washington
Alinaaa BRONZE, Seattle, Washington
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

“If you ever though reading people’s minds would make it easier to understand them, Amy Kathleen Ryan is here to tell you that you’re dead wrong.” – Barry Lyga, Author of The Astonishing Adventures of Fanboy and Goth girl

That quote sums up the whole story. Vibes is about Kristi Carmichael, a high school girl, who believes she’s a physic. In the beginning, Kristi starts off as an extremely angry girl. She tries to disconnect herself from other students by dressing in homemade clothes and wearing heavy makeup. She builds a wall around herself because of the insults brought by her classmates. Like any other teenage girl, she puts herself down and thinks she’s ugly.

It is obvious that Kristi’s tough image is used to hide away her real feelings – pain and hurt. But as the book progresses, she peels away her image and realizes she wasn’t always right about her classmate’s opinions. She begins to open up and discover new things about herself. In the end, everything starts to head in the right direction.

Vibes is a great book to read. It clearly shows the high school experience; how teenagers try to hide their pain, how they deal with problems such as divorce, how they tease others, and judging people based on appearance. There are good issues in this book to learn about. Once you start reading this book, you can’t put it down since you’ll want to find out how Kristi’s life being to piece together again.