Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson | Teen Ink

Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson

Speak is about a young girl entering high school struggling to find her voice. This book is more for a teen or adult audience. I think this book is more important for teens to read because they need to know what things can happen in high school.
Melinda is a 9th grader at Merryweather High School. Something happened to her the summer before she started high school. She’s afraid to tell anyone what happened that summer. She feels alone, her old friends treat her differently ever since the incident. She makes a new friend, Heather, who is completely opposite from Melinda. Heather and Melinda are inseparable, until Heather wants to be in the popular crowd. Some of Melinda’s teachers are strict, but some are very helpful to her. They are helpful and sometimes she doesn’t even realize it. Her art teacher compares her to a tree. She doesn’t understand why. But as things for her change, she starts to bloom.
It’s good to read this book at a young age because it tells about things that can happen to teenagers. Some teens don’t understand what can happen. This book has a real life scenario of what high school and teens can be like.

I GIVE THIS BOOK 4 STARS