Twilight by Stephenie Meyer | Teen Ink

Twilight by Stephenie Meyer MAG

I was never in love with vampires until Twilight came out. I didn’t know it was possible, but Stephenie Meyer changed the stereotypical blood-sucking vampire into a beautiful god-like creature.

In Twilight, an average high school girl, Bella Swan, falls in love with one of the most beautiful boys at her new school, Edward, who happens to be a vampire. What does one call a stunning, mysterious vampire and his stunning, mysterious vampire family? I believe “The Cullens” would suffice.

The author’s style and characters will glue your hands to the book and your eyes to the page. In no time, the book is over. But don’t worry – there are three sequels: New Moon, Eclipse, and Breaking Dawn.

Twilight is well written from Bella’s point of view. It feels as though a movie is playing in your head. If you don’t feel that way, have no fear, the actual movie comes out November 21.

Twilight is such a magnificent book that it was a New York Times bestseller. Who would have thought that the idea for such an astonishing book could come from a dream the author had?

The theme is love conquers all, even the supernatural. Nothing stands in the way of love for Edward and Bella. Or does it?

Meyer’s style of writing will have you wanting to believe that there are gorgeous vampires roaming our world and just hopefully there will be Edwards for all of the girls who have fallen in love with this fictional yet breathtaking character. Since the characters’ love is forbidden, it only makes it better. ­After all, forbidden fruit tastes the sweetest.

Writedancelove&live GOLD, Redding, California

"Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much."
"Karen: If you're from Africa why are you white? Gretchen: Omg Karen, you can't just ask people why they're white."

It bothers you that it's 'too original'? Isn't originality a good thing?

4everluvjc BRONZE, Plantation, Florida

nothing is impossible with God! Try him and you'll see :)

I have to confess: I totally did not like that movie. It was stark of emotion, totally. And then all they did was just stare, no dialogue. It was just wierd. And then she treated those who were friendly to her like they were losers. <br />
"Hey you loser, what again?" Like, come on!<br />
And then it's just like she has no mind of her own.

Locked27 said...
I couldn't agree more with you. I thought Twilight was too original and had very dull writing. There was no conflict until the very ending, and Stephanie Meyer does that in all of her books. She delays a conflict until the very ending, which bothers me very much

MiRawr BRONZE said...
MiRawr BRONZE, Bloomington, Indiana
1 article 1 photo 7 comments
I know what you mean, Katey91. It seems like whenever you mention twilight to anyone, they automatically judge you. it's become sort of a habit for most people to just make fun of twilight, especially my age, high school. now, whenever I tell people that I like Twilight, I have to actually show them how its not just another book, it's actually really good writing that can be admired if you just look at it from your own perspective and not be biased by other people's stated opinions.

Kavishg BRONZE said...
on Nov. 3 2009 at 7:36 am
Kavishg BRONZE, Newton, Massachusetts
Well, this series is obviously a great hit with many teenagers, and I hope this does not offend anyone, but my opinion is that Twilight was sexist and had very dull writing. The book showed Edward "swooping in to save the day" every time Bella was in trouble. The writing was all about "true love" and not about any other topics. Bella basically throws her whole life away to be with Edward.

wordweaver96 PLATINUM, Winchester, Kentucky

" It is not our abilities but our choices that show who we truly are. "
Albus Dumbledore

See, we really DON'T have anything to fear but fear itself!

i agree completely! twilight is so much more than the movie was!

Hekate SILVER said...
Hekate SILVER, Cheektowaga, New York

"That is not dead which can eternal lie/And with strange eons even death may die"

I agree, fairyfreak. young adults need something more that one dimensional characters and a plot line that centers on an abusive relationship. Steven King has expressed the opinion that stephanie meyer is a terrible writer, and I agree. What ever happened to Anne Rice? Laurell K. Hamilton? Bram Stoker? Elizabeth Kostova and Kim Harrison? What is the world (of fiction) coming to?

hbeats4u2 SILVER, MPLS, Minnesota

My personal favorite quote would have to be; "Don't judge a book by its cover."

The Twilight saga was and is defiantly my favorite books ever. The movies though need to be better. They left out alot of events. I hope you agree with me!

Katey91 said...
This review was meant as my own opinion! Hence it is called a review. Its suppose to get people to want to read the books, not to "warn them". if i loved it, i'm obviously not going to say anything bad about it

Katey91 said...
Well I wrote this before most of the hype...The series was really good until it became like REALLY huge. now its just like "oh you are one of those twilighters" when in fact i read this when it was pretty much brand new

Desanyx SILVER said...
Desanyx SILVER, Westfield, New Jersey

The imagination is man's power over nature. -Wallace Stevens

I will accept that everyone has their own opinion, but personally I detest this series of books. They are poorly written and they do not have "Characters" they have "Caricatures" meaning that this book is cliched and not worth all the hype that people are feeding into it.

on Sep. 21 2009 at 10:50 am
emo.poptart. SILVER, Halethorpe, Maryland

"if u aren't wierd ur normal, if ur normal ur boring, if ur wierd ur fascinating and the world is urs lol "
-Fredwardness

after reading the twilight series, im beginning to find my"edward" in my boyfriend...its awesome...i love it and it's so relatable to everyday life.....

Leyra said...
Leyra, Bronx, New York
I fell in love with this book when i read the second book thinking it was the first one. Then after that I got all of them and finished all of them in about a month. I re-read them and re-read them I just LOVE TWILIGHT!!! And now that it's on DVD I torture my sister with watching it everyday. Stephanie Meyer is an awesome Author. I LOVE HER!!!!

on Jul. 18 2009 at 4:23 am
RadioShower PLATINUM, Rio Rancho, New Mexico

Emo is imaginary - Gerard Way
Normalness leads to sadness -Phil Lester (AmazingPhil)

man a lot of people have commented on this! i have read the books too but unlike most girls i'm not obsessed with Edward Cullen.( I like jacob more)loved the book though new moon made me mad though. Ps i do love Vampires the whole blood sucking thing!! nice job covered the book well.

hadadelmar42 said...
on Jun. 28 2009 at 2:16 am
i live in Puerto Rico and we loved to read the saga books Bella and Eduard are unique.

Jessah GOLD said...
Jessah GOLD, Westbrook, Maine

“Love hurts. There is nothing as painful as heartbreak. But in order to learn to love again you must learn to trust again.”

Nicholas Sparks

I am obsessed with this book and the rest in the series. Although I though that the last one was really different. A big event that seemed in the wrong place. I liked the turn still, but Bella? Wow!

burritocat SILVER, Denver, Colorado

What matters an eternity of damnation to someone who has found in one second the infinity of joy? - Charles Baudelaire

The books are great especially because of how Meyer changed the way vampires are-i read this saga because my friends were all talking abou it and somepeople said they were really getting annoyed by it,they said it was a waste of time to read it while other friends said it was like really good-so i read it because i was curious of it-when i was little i used to love vampires but when i finished 3rd grade i dint anymore until i read twilight-i also fell in love with the wolves-bout the movie,it wasnt near as good as the book but new moon sure will be

Mellisa said...
This is a really good book. I don't like to read but it was a eye catching book. The movie was awesome.

BellaLuna1 BRONZE, Ozone Park, New York
I loved the series. it took the movie for me to even find out about it but i am proud 2 report i read the book before seeing the movie. have u heard abt the awine flu outbreak? well, now we need Carlisle to help us! lol. well, i loved the book and this was a great review cnt wait 4 new moon! its like a feast for out eyes.....

on Apr. 24 2009 at 12:07 am
ghostgirl1994, Hohenwald, Tennessee
To start off: you did a good review. And I agree that there are several reasons this series is so popular. For one thing, it has massive emotional appeal. The thought of someone inherently bad being good is attractive to many. Throw in the fact that he's gorgeous and oh so innocent, and you've got yourself a bestseller. However, I think it's important that we remember that the forbidden fruit only tastes the best at first. Bella will have to watch her friends and family die.

All in all, however, it is a mesmerizing read. Very smooth writing. (At least, I think so.)