Twilight by Stephenie Meyer | Teen Ink

Twilight by Stephenie Meyer MAG

I was never in love with vampires until Twilight came out. I didn’t know it was possible, but Stephenie Meyer changed the stereotypical blood-sucking vampire into a beautiful god-like creature.

In Twilight, an average high school girl, Bella Swan, falls in love with one of the most beautiful boys at her new school, Edward, who happens to be a vampire. What does one call a stunning, mysterious vampire and his stunning, mysterious vampire family? I believe “The Cullens” would suffice.

The author’s style and characters will glue your hands to the book and your eyes to the page. In no time, the book is over. But don’t worry – there are three sequels: New Moon, Eclipse, and Breaking Dawn.

Twilight is well written from Bella’s point of view. It feels as though a movie is playing in your head. If you don’t feel that way, have no fear, the actual movie comes out November 21.

Twilight is such a magnificent book that it was a New York Times bestseller. Who would have thought that the idea for such an astonishing book could come from a dream the author had?

The theme is love conquers all, even the supernatural. Nothing stands in the way of love for Edward and Bella. Or does it?

Meyer’s style of writing will have you wanting to believe that there are gorgeous vampires roaming our world and just hopefully there will be Edwards for all of the girls who have fallen in love with this fictional yet breathtaking character. Since the characters’ love is forbidden, it only makes it better. ­After all, forbidden fruit tastes the sweetest.

Sunshine said...
on Dec. 5 2009 at 11:16 am
I love the twilight series it has inspire me to become a writter.

on Dec. 3 2009 at 8:29 pm
kitaxhaku BRONZE, Winston Salem, North Carolina
Good reasoning, but I must rebutt. In the book Bella WAS described as sure, not the ugliest thing in the world, but a pretty if not ugly, too normal, girl. I know that this is how Edward is supposed to be protrayed, but I cannot accept it. Once again in my OPINION, Edward just does not seem to be a decent vampire. And I never said that vampires can't be "weak" or loving or anything like that; that is part of a character's personality. But Edward is simply too dramatic for my taste, and perhaps that is why I cannot see him as a true vampire (and the fact that he's stalking Bella every other night). I never said anything about a basic, scary story Dracula vampire, don't twist words around; no one can play Edward's part except for Edward because obviously from both our point of views he is some kind of special...

Yes yes, "hot" werewolves don't come in until the second book, forgive me for getting ahead of myself. Just so much to dislike.

As for the book being poorly written, I simply cannot read it without finding sentences that could be written so much better. Sure, people can go ahead and like the plot line, but even if you are a hardcore Twilight fan, you have to admit that there are A LOT of girls who came into the series just for the hot guys. Anyway, I think things here are about tied up. I simply felt the need to review, and I'm glad I got so much feed back on this. It's always good to debate, it makes you stronger. But, just to let you know, my opinions haven't changed at all, and maybe once you've read better and bigger books you'll understand what I mean by this review. All in my opinion, of course.

on Dec. 3 2009 at 5:07 pm
i agree totally!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

anonymous said...
on Dec. 3 2009 at 5:05 pm
whos talvin?

I<3Jasper said...
on Dec. 3 2009 at 5:02 pm
i think that would be cool also!!!!!!!

Eclipsegirl3 said...
on Dec. 3 2009 at 5:01 pm
Agreed!!!!

Eclipsegirl3 said...
on Dec. 3 2009 at 4:59 pm
I have to say( as a twelve year old who can read books like they are water and I desperately need that water) I got the point of view that Bella was supposed to be a pretty girl who is shy and has low self-esteem, but finds herself friends who care about her. Then she finds a boy that she's oddly drawn to, and feels that she can’t stay away from. As this boy turns out to be a vampire, this is where I think the original writer is wrong in his/her assumptions. Stephanie Meyer wanted her idea of a vampire to be in the story, a vampire who is extremely strong, beautiful, sparkling, and interesting creature. But he also has a weak side and, after he meets Bella, gets kind of weak and will do anything to keep her from danger- even killing him. I don’t get how a basic, scary- story vampire like Dracula could play Edwards part. And then about Bella, she's not anti-social; she’s just shy with the new school and all. and she's not getting "all this attention" because she cant figure out her own life- she gets all the attention because people like her how she is- a slightly shy girl who has feelings just like any other girl like that.

I also think that the book is NOT poorly written, and people like it BECAUSE of the plot line, and how things happen. Oh, and their aren’t even "hot" werewolves until the second book.

on Dec. 3 2009 at 2:30 pm
JohnTalbot GOLD, Dixon, Missouri

Rather be starving free, than be a fat slave.

Twilight is really good it definately creates an atmosphere of whatever it wants you to feel

on Dec. 1 2009 at 8:24 pm
pencilchick GOLD, San Jose, California

The sleep of reason produces monsters -fransisco goya

Yeah twilights okay but if you read Blood and Chocolate it kind of seems like Meyer stole some of the things she wrote

%$*kendra$#* said...
on Dec. 1 2009 at 10:38 am
i really like hoew u espressd ur self an i get ur pursective

on Nov. 30 2009 at 8:55 pm
Well hello 13 year old girl. I am a 17 year old? Reading a book over and over again proves nothing to me. The girl can have low self-esteem; I never said she didn't. But my point is that even in fictional books, some things need to make sense. I know people consider Edward a vampire, but the fact is that Myers herself said that she looked up NOTHING about vampires when she wrote this book. Sure, you can twist it and give originality to your book, but when you don't even research for it, your book tends just looks sloppy. And there are plenty of books that aren't the stereotypic "evil-blood-sucking vampire.

on Nov. 30 2009 at 8:16 pm
Army.Strong SILVER, Twinsburg, Ohio

"God is great, beer is good and people are crazy"
"Honor, Respect, Bravery; U.S. Navy"
"Have High Winds" -U.S. Navy

just to point out somehting, i read each book about 3 times each and Bella had a low self-esteem. No, it did not say that but, I am 13 years old and I could tell that that is what Meyer's was going for. And Edward IS a vampire; but, he wanted to live a normal person so he can find his love in some way so he and his family really focused on trying to at least be the other/ good side of vampires. Meyer's-in my decision- didn't want her story to be like the usual evil-blood-sucking vampire- she wanted her DREAM to come to life, exactly the way she saw it.

on Nov. 30 2009 at 8:05 pm
Army.Strong SILVER, Twinsburg, Ohio

"Honor, Respect, Bravery; U.S. Navy"
"Have High Winds" -U.S. Navy

wow, this is amazing! i love, love, love how you ended your piece, like the book, it made me wish it wouldn't ever end!!

on Nov. 29 2009 at 5:20 pm
I cannot give Twilight any good review. I read the first half of the book, and found myself disappointed that such a book was a number one seller. Firstly, I am reminding those who find this offensive that you have your right to your opinions; let me have the same right. Secondly, I would like to add that the sparkly vampire Edward was not based on the normal vampire; she did not even look it up. This is what upset me the most; why would you name this thing a vampire if he isn't based off of one? Why not just make up a monster that sparkles in the sun and stalks girls in their bedroom? Thirdly, I HAVE to add that Bella is supposed to be an ugly, sometimes snappy, girl. Let's be realistic in a fictional book: THIS DOESN'T HAPPEN. In my opinion, this ruins the romantic point of view. It doesn't make sense that this unsocial (not emo) and ugly girl gets ALL of this attention. It's poor plot-writing, and I think that more than half of this book's popularity is just because there is a "hot vampire" and a "hot werewolf." I cannot give her any props for originality or creative writing. This series is the worst thing I've read. In my opinion, of course.

on Nov. 28 2009 at 9:26 am
FlyleafFreak DIAMOND, Loveland, Colorado

"I have faith in fools;self confidence my friends call it"~Edger Allan Poe
"In this world of infinite insanity, your friends are the best psychiatrists you will ever have."~Me

The Twilight Series what great and it inspires me as a writer and as a dreamer. Thank you Stephenie Meyer!

on Nov. 26 2009 at 1:32 pm
-JustDance- PLATINUM, Medford, Oregon

"The manner in which we live and that in which we ought to live are things so wide asunder that he who quits the one to betake himself in the other is more likely to destroy than to save himself." ~Niccolo Machiavelli

So let us find the balance.

Well, the author started writing it just emailing her sister with ideas and her sister wanted more, but I agree the writing gets better throughout the series

on Nov. 26 2009 at 12:33 am
spontaneous09 BRONZE, Dallas, Texas
I read the whole series but I thought the first book, Twilight, was okay. For one, it one of the authors first written books and you can tell. And, I had a feeling throughout the book that only people who had fallen in love could really relate to the characters. The part I liked best about the book was the concept, the plot. Can you really fall in love with something that was made to destroy you? A creature who is destined for an evil fate?

on Nov. 25 2009 at 1:11 pm
Brooke_Lynn SILVER, Flanagan, Illinois

1.) "live the life you love, love the life you live" Bob Marley

2.) "get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please" Mark Twain

3.) "i never try to fit in, i was born to stand out" Unknown

that was a very good book! i luved it!

ranyagirl said...
on Nov. 24 2009 at 11:15 am
ranyagirl, Campobello, South Carolina

Carl Jung-- Art is a kind of innate drive that seizes a human being and makes him its instrument. To perform this difficult office it is sometimes necessary for him to sacrifice happiness and everything that makes life worth living for the ordinary human being

As a constant reader and a writer myself, I must say that the Twilight series was beautifully written. Stephanie Meyer has grown to be one of my favorite authors along with Libba Bray and Stephen King. I have read all of her books more that one time each, including The Host, Breaking Glass and Midnight Sun. And of course each Twilight finatic has their point of view between Jacob and Edward. I prefer Jacob Black (played by Taylor Laughtner in the movies) to the sparkling, over-sensitive Edward Cullen (Robert Pattinson). Jacob just seems like he would be a better mate for Bella (Kristen Stewart). He is the best friend and salvation for Bella as she is constantly hurt, physically and emotionally. But maybe it's just me who realizes that Jacob and Bella are a perfect match. And as for the movies, they were a dissapointment and I regret watching them. Although New Moon was better, I do believe that with Meyer on set, the characters should have read the books to get into the real characters' minds. The director should also have let her take a sort of lead in the making of the movies.

--Chelsea R.

charlie said...
on Nov. 20 2009 at 9:52 am
wen I first read this book.... I didnt think its was goin to be good but I love it and I also watch the movie. I love that two. Its just a story