Frankenstein by Mary Shelley

Frankenstein by Mary Shelley is a classic novel that has been unfolding important messages to readers for centuries. The suspenseful horror story engages its audience by raising controversial moral issues in modern and futuristic science. Plus, the book offers a glance into history; the setting comes alive with all of the descriptions of the characters and their lifestyles. Shelley's writing style will catch the readers attention with its flowing language and dramatic tone.

Set in a dark mood in the eighteenth century, a scientist named Victor Frankenstein creates a monster. He pieces together body parts and uses an electrical force to make it come to life. The scientist then feels guilty and regretful of his decision to create a life as the monster starts to play a hand in countless tragedies among Victor's loved ones.

A little while after creating his monster, Victor says, "I had been the author of unalterable evils; and lived in daily fear, lest the monster whom I had created should perpetrate some new wickedness" (76). Victor is reflecting on the issues and consequences involved in his experiment and feeling his own guilt and regret. It is easy to form an opinion on the choices that Victor makes throughout the novel.

At the same time, the monster tells his own story of overwhelming feelings of alienation and isolation which eventually causes him to hurt others to ease some of his sadness and anger.

Frankenstein is definitely worth reading today because of all of the new and advanced scientific discoveries that affect everyone in our modern world. It is important to read Mary Shelley's opinion on whether or not science should interfere with nature. This masterpiece of a story will make readers think.

Annieboo said...
I want to read this now