The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

In The Bluest Eye, Toni Morrison touches upon some of the most feared issues on the spectrum of human emotion.

Pecola, the main character, is a young black girl who yearns for blue eyes and blonde hair. Universal problems of self-identity and self-worth are dealt with as each ingredient of Pecola's story – the life of an oppressed African-American girl in an almost all-white ­community – unfolds. All ­readers can relate to the ­character Morrison creates; she weaves us into her story through Pecola's quest to find a sense of belonging.

If the plot is not enough, Morrison's style captures her audience. Through her rhythmic language, the reader is enclosed in Pecola's world of hardship and longing, while being opened to the greater issues that lie before us. Through symbolism, motifs, and metaphors, this work of literature gracefully handles the tainted vision of humankind.

Whether you are a literary expert or someone looking for an enjoyable read, The Bluest Eye is sure to please. Morrison proves she is among the greatest authors of our time.