Fight Club by Chuck Palahnuik | Teen Ink

Fight Club by Chuck Palahnuik MAG

May 19, 2010
By Abe Kipnis SILVER, South Salem, New York
Abe Kipnis SILVER, South Salem, New York
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Fight Club is a sensational book that takes readers inside the mind of an insomniac. The unnamed narrator possesses a deteriorating mind, and his world crumbles more each day. He visits cancer support groups to relieve his suffering and barely knows who he is. In his shoes, you see his mind flash and bend under the constant pressure of no sleep. He comes home one day to find his condo has been blown to bits. In his efforts to restart his life, he visits a new acquaintance, Tyler Durden, who gives him a room in his house.

From that day on, his life changes rapidly. He and Tyler start a club that uses bloody fighting as a stress reliever and a coming-of-age stage for young men. However, Fight Club turns into something more. Men become addicted to the adrenaline and pain. As this world expands into something neither of them expects, the narrator begins to see things about himself that could set everything right but won't.

Reading this book was one of the most unique experiences I have ever had. It felt as if Chuck Palahnuik brought me into a basement where I got my face punched by a stranger, and liked it in a weird way. Palahnuik writes in a way that what he tells, or sometimes doesn't tell, effects the story and leads to a surprising and shocking ending. His twisted story reveals something about the true nature of man. If you're looking for a book that will make you think, Fight Club is one for you.