Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk | Teen Ink

Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk

By Alexandra456 BRONZE, Charlottesville, Virginia
Alexandra456 BRONZE, Charlottesville, Virginia

“Tyler gets me a job as a waiter, after that Tyler’s pushing a gun in my mouth and saying, the first step to eternal life is you have to die”: The first line of Chuck Palahniuk’s novel Fight Club smacks you in the face. In the first few appalling pages, I was thrown into a new world described by an insomniac narrator. Tyler enters the novel as the confident, bold antagonist that the narrator wishes he had the guts to be. The twist? Tyler is a figment of the narrator’s split personality. If I had initially felt that the first few chapters of the narrator’s cynical thoughts were unsettling, I was severely unprepared for Tyler’s sociopathic nature and total lack of a conscience. Through Tyler, Palahniuk asks the uncomfortable, controversial, and cruel questions that most people shy away from: “How Tyler saw it was that getting God’s attention for being bad was better than getting no attention at all. Maybe because God’s hate is better than His indifference. ? If you could be either God’s worst enemy or nothing, which would you choose?” (After all, indifference is the opposite of love, not hate). Tyler creates fight club as a way for the average corporate office drone to take out his life’s frustrations. In a world where men are judged and valued by their jobs and their possessions, fight club is an escape. “Maybe self-improvement isn't the answer....Maybe self-destruction is the answer.” Tyler’s admiration for chaos is disturbing; I couldn’t understand why anyone would express a desire to destroy beautiful things. After completing the novel, I realized that Tyler’s intents was to give mankind a fresh start; allowing for the opportunity to live in an uncorrupt world, void of mankind’s shallow institutions. Palahniuk’s cynical anti-consumerist, anti-establishment statements are were undeniably shocking to read; Fight Club provides a startling interpretation of reality.