The Lovely Bones | Teen Ink

The Lovely Bones

By Allison Roth GOLD, Pound Ridge, New York
Allison Roth GOLD, Pound Ridge, New York

My name was Salmon, like the fish; first name, Susie. I was fourteen when I was murdered on December 6, 1973. In newspaper photos of missing girls from the seventies, most looked like me: white girls with mousy brown hair. This was before kids of all races and genders started appearing on milk cartons or in the daily mail. It was still back when people believed things like that didn’t happen.

Susie Salmon is watching life on earth from her new home in heaven. She sees her friends talking about her disappearance, her murderer trying to hide, and her family falling apart. Susie witnesses her loved ones’ long, desperate, and excruciating journey of finding her killer. She knows how to help, but she can’t.

The Lovely Bones is a beautifully unique novel that I recommend to anyone who enjoys suspense and mystery. I give this book a five out of five stars for its notable descriptive language and twists that leave the reader wanting to read more. I could not put down The Lovely Bones once while reading it. There were many moments when I was so surprised and shocked about what had just happened that I would stop reading, think deeply, and then reread the page. The Lovely Bones is definitely worth reading!

on Jul. 21 2010 at 4:01 am
This is a great book. Very interesting plot with lots of twists. A bit more detail would be great.