Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green and David Levithan | Teen Ink

Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green and David Levithan

Will Grayson, Will Grayson
John Green and David Levithan
Dutton, April 2010, ISBN 9780525421580

“You can pick your friends, you can pick your nose, but you can’t pick your friend’s nose”. This quotation was used in the first chapter of Will Grayson, Will Grayson to describe the story of two boys, both named Will Grayson, who meet one night in Chicago and their lives are forever changed. This book also changed my view on ideas that I could never imagine.
This book is written by the two popular teen fiction authors John Green and David Levithan. Green wrote the odd numbered chapters, describing the life of awkward and cynical Will Grayson. His life normally revolves around his flamboyant, romantic best friend Tiny Cooper (who is really tall and is a large football player) who falls in love with a guy every hour on the hour. He gets ignored when Tiny gets the guy and then picks up the pieces when his heart gets broken. However, things go to far when Tiny attempts to set Will up with his friend from Gay Straight-Alliance, Jane. Will feels like a relationship with Jane will break his two life rules: to shut up and to not care. So, he just stays quiet and never takes risks. The other Will Grayson (as written by Levithan) is a depressed closet homosexual teenager who hates the world and has only one true friend that he talks about: Isaac. He seems to be the perfect boyfriend and really wants to meet him. When both Will Graysons come to Chicago on the same night, ending up in the same place, they end up changing their lives forever.
Yeah, I know. You’re probably thinking “It sounds like every other book collaboration I have heard of in teen fiction”. But there is one big difference: the writing style. John Green writes the hilarious yet poignant character Tiny as if he really existed in a fuzzy childhood memory. He is able to describe his characters, like this gem: “One of Tiny Cooper’s tears could drown a kitten.” David Levithan also did a good job, though I have to say grammar freaks will not appreciate the uncapitalized words. It can also get a little confusing with the narration, moving too quickly through the plot, but by the end, you will open your eyes to all the possiblities to love and understanding, feel the warm fuzzy feelings of friendship and the woe of teen angst with a few laughs along the way. I feel like this book is really funny, with witty characters and dialogue, a good story and will have you reading it in one sitting. Trust me, it happened to me.

It's a review. Read the book and love it.