The Color Purple by Alice Walker | Teen Ink

The Color Purple by Alice Walker

April 29, 2010
By lucy617 GOLD, Marietta, Georgia
lucy617 GOLD, Marietta, Georgia
14 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
In the midst of winter,
I finally learned that
there was in me
an invincible summer.


This is a fabulously written book by Alice Walker. It shows how strong a relationship can actually be with your sibling; it also shows how love always dominates in the end. This book is sincerely compassionate. Many emotions also run through this book. The author depicts passion, pain, inspiration, and love gracefully in this book. You can learn a lot about life and yourself in this single book.
The character that I like the most is Nettie. Even though she had huge odds to conquer, she always succeeded in the end. She let every opportunity turn into a good one, and she knew when to give up and when to not. She always worked hard and found every thing to be a challenge. Celie always says, “ Nettie never give up…Nobody want to learn bad as Nettie and me…”
I didn’t like the character, Mr.____. He was always mean and stubborn. It had to always be his way in the house, because he was the oldest male. To him, women were not as important as men. Mr.___ tells his wife “[she] can’t do this. My wife just can’t do that. No wife of mines…”He never volunteered to do any housework. He made his wife and oldest child work out in the fields in the blistering heat, while he sat back and smoked.
I like how Alice Walker made the book seem so real. For example, she knew that Celie didn’t have a really good education. So whenever Celie writes, there is always some type of spelling error. “My mama she fuss at me an look at me.” Whenever, Nettie is describing the Olinka tribe it seems like you are right there as well. And when Shug and Celie become best friends, you can feel the warmth of their friendship.
I didn’t like how the whole book was just letters. I think it would have been easier for someone to understand the book if the author would have just written it in first person or could’ve included an introduction that says, “These are the letters that me and my sister, Nettie, have passed all these years.”
I definitely recommend this book to anyone. Anyone will be able to sit back and enjoy this book. It is definitely one of the best written books I have ever read.