The Hunger Games by Suzzane Collins | Teen Ink

The Hunger Games by Suzzane Collins

April 28, 2010
By Anonymous

The Hunger Games and Catching Fire is a fictional book series. It is a trilogy with the third book being Mockingjay. The last book will be released in the fall of 2010.

The Hunger Games is about a girl named Katniss Everdeen. The setting place takes place in the United States, but it’s in the future. This nation is now known as Panem. There are 13 districts in which the 13th was destroyed. The districts are similar to concentration camps. People are starving and have no money. Each district is responsible for producing a product such as wood, coal, and meat.

The capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line. They do this by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of 12 and 18 to participate in the annual Hunger Games. It is a fight to the death on live TV. The Hunger Games is an arena in which there are weapons, traps, and 23 contestants. There is only one rule in the games. Survive. The last one standing gets a home with plenty of food. The worst part is that it’s on live television.

Unfortunately, Katniss Everdeen’s sister has been picked to fight in the games. Without meaning to, she regards it as a death sentence when Katniss steps forward and takes her sister’s place. If she wants to win, she will have to start making choices that may change her life.

If you are thinking this isn’t the genre for you, there are a lot of different genres included such as: romance, action, thriller, fantasy, and science fiction. The author successfully ties all these together, not concentrating on only one, but equally spreading it out.

Suzanne Collins did a great job. She described the characters very well and knows when she needs to hold onto a character or not and the twist and turns of the plot is surprising.