The Curious Case of Benjamin Button by F. Scott Fitzgerald | Teen Ink

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button by F. Scott Fitzgerald

By Steven Tan SILVER, Aurora, Illinois
Steven Tan SILVER, Aurora, Illinois

F. Scott Fitzgerald was a proliferate writer during the Jazz Age, but one of his most prominent stories was probably The Curious Case of Benjamin Button because of its fantastic plot structure. This story has been the inspiration for the major motion picture. Some of the literary merits of this book include its universal appeal, irony, and character development. As part of the collection of classics, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button can be considered one of the most renowned.

Classics usually have a connotation of containing universal appeal. Likewise, Fitzgerald’s story also contains universal appeal. Almost every couple has a child during their marriage, and almost every parent wishes their child to be the best of their abilities. However, Mr. and Mrs. Rogers face every couple’s most dreaded fear, giving birth to an abnormal child. “Abnormal” may imply different connotations, but when you compare babies with Mr. Benjamin Button, there is an unforgettable difference.

Another aspect of this story involves Fitzgerald’s use of irony. Right from the start, readers are shocked from what is reality and fiction. There is a great “pull” between Fitzgerald’s creative writing and your curiosity, which makes putting the book down tough. When Doctor Keene hesitates when answering Mr. Button, you wonder what the problem is. For example, “Is my wife all right?”… “Is it a boy or a girl?" (Fitzgerald, 319) The irony occurs when Mr. Button meets his “son” who looks like he is seventy years old. As a reference, Mr. Button exclaims, “You lie! You’re an imposter!” (Fitzgerald, 321)

The last element in Fitzgerald’s story is his character development. From the get-go, the main character is the most peculiar baby ever seen. No one understands the phenomenon of aging backwards or getting younger. Likewise, Mr. Benjamin Button doesn’t understand his absurd aging process. Mr. B. Button tries to live a “normal” life while trying to act age appropriate. One of the most hysterical passages occurs when Mr. B. Button is getting accepted into Yale University. While both mentally and physically fifty years old, Mr. B. Button’s birth certificate report his age to be eighteen. The administrators deny Mr. Button’s acceptance into Yale University even though he has passed the required exams. Throughout the story, Benjamin Button tries to live a normal life while facing the problems of aging backwards.

Without a doubt, this story is suitable for anyone able to understand its content. This story should be shared with everyone because of its themes and plots. Just because the Jazz Age was many years ago, doesn’t mean the stories should be forgotten. This is one of F. Scott Fitzgerald’s most famed stories and it portrays a hint of what he called his era.