Pride & Prejudice by Jane Austen This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

I must admit that when I first picked up this book, my sole motivation to read it was that I should, because it was a classic, and one can’t go through life without reading such famous literature as this. I was completely ignorant to the beauty of the story that lay within.

Are you independent-minded? Do your parents embarrass you? If so, you hold much in common with Miss. Elizabeth Bennet. Elizabeth is an intelligent, outspoken young woman when wealthy Mr. Bingley arrives in town with a party of his friends. Mr. Bingely is amiable and polite, and invites all the ladies of the area to a ball in his home so that everyone can become acquainted. Elizabeth immediately takes a strong disliking to Bingley’s aloof friend Mr. Darcy, who acts proud, superior, and socially introverted. Her disgust is only fed by the terrible rumors of him that circulate through the neighborhood. Darcy unexpectedly confesses his love for Elizabeth, and she replies with bitter words and accusations. But before long, Elizabeth unwillingly starts to fall in love herself.

This novel is a touching love story, and I am very glad that I have read it. I recommend this to absolutely anyone. Just one hint: Don’t follow my lead and read this novel because you should; but read it because the story will undoubtedly draw you in and capture your heart.

Firebolt said...
Jun. 14, 2011 at 4:35 am
I'm talking about the fact that stephanie meyer got the idea for twilight from  pride and prejudice ..
gosh,I always knew it was unoriginal!!,speaking of which,check out the cover of 'words to live by' by C.S.Lewis......
great artice,by the way! I love both the book and th movie! Elizabeth bennet forever :)

Firebolt said...
Jun. 14, 2011 at 4:28 am
is that really true?

Aelia said...
Jun. 12, 2010 at 10:07 am
You were right to say that Elizabeth is a very relatable character, despite that she is a character from more than a hundred years ago. I read this book three times. And each time I got something new from it. Mainly because it was quite a difficult piece to read, especially when I first read it when I was in grade seven...The wonderful story, nevertheless. And a wonderful review too!

sunnyhunny This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jun. 18, 2010 at 11:25 am
Thanks, I agree with you that this is a book to be read more than once.  It took me a few chapters to get adjusted to the old english language, so I missed a lot of things in the begining.

TygerShore said...
Nice review!  Seen the movie a few times before but have never actually read the book.  Your review has made me want to make a trip to the library and borrow the book so I may be able to fully appreciate what a work of art it is.

Great!  I'm glad my piece was a motivation for you!

XCLover said...

It's one of my goals this summer to finally actually read the whole book! I love the story but have just never managed to finish the book.

I really enjoyed reading this review, and it motivated me to begin reading Pride and Prejudice again. Also, if you haven't read Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, it is a decently entertaining read. It's pretty much the same story with a few good one liners slid into the dialogue and the sisters are zombie slayers.

Great I'll have to check it out!  I've seen that book, but I was skeptical that it might be kind of lame, or make a joke out of a classic.  Thanks for letting me know it's good, though.

sunnyhunny This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Did you know that Stephanie Myer got ideas from Pride and Prejudice for Twilight?

respecturself7 said...
I know exactly what you mean. I've begun reading many classics with the hopes of better acquainting myself with the world of English literature only to find that the characters and story itself pulled me in and captivated me to such an extent that I've read at least a classic every few months since. They provide me with hours of sheer enjoyment as well as being an educational read. Very accurate portrayal of one of Jane Austins best and most loved wor... (more »)

Thank you!

isabel18 said...
May 19, 2010 at 9:17 am
The movie is really good too! I just bought it and I love it!!

Really?  That's great!  I'll have to check into that :)

temerick said...
 I read it with the same idea- it must be considered a classic for a reason. Once I got into the language, I was captivated. Great story and Elizabeth is definitely one of my favorite literary characters. Intelligent, witty and strong willed. My kinda woman. :)

isabel18 said...

I loved this book!!!!!!

My older sister read it and convinced me to read it as well! It is now one of my favorite books! Great Article!!

ThisLitIsBananas This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I love this book so much, and I can agree with you on all points. It's amazing how, after 200 years, we all can still relate to Lizzy Bennet and her love and family! :) Great article! C:

G.M.Palacio said...
Nice review! Now I really want to read this book. I give you five stars because!!!

Glad to hear it!  And Thank you!

May 9, 2010 at 8:11 am
I'd really appreciate it if whoever gave me one star on this could explain why.

ThisLitIsBananas This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
I hate when people do that! I've gotten 2 stars on one of my articles and 1 star on another (the article that got 1 star was also voted #1 in its category - funny, huh?)! People do that just to be mean. It's ridiculous. It doesn't mean your article deserved it. Check out my article The Eye of the Beholder and my poem Every Day please, and see if they deserve less than 2 stars!