The Devil's Arithmetic by Jane Yolon

The Devil’s Arithmetic is a heart-pounding book about a young, unappreciative Jewish girl named Hannah that is stuck between two worlds.
While Hannah is unwillingly at her family’s Seder dinner, she opens the door to symbolize letting Elijah in. When she does this, rather than just seeing the empty hall of her grandparent’s apartment complex, she sees a shadowy figure standing there singing a dreary song. All of a sudden, she is in a totally different world.
I thought it was a very well written book. At the beginning I wasn’t that into it, but near the end I got very into it. It made the Holocaust seem more real since I was reading about a person in the Holocaust. I feel more strongly about the Holocaust after reading this book.
I would recommend this book to any of my friends, or better yet, anyone at all. Thank you for reading this.

sunnyhunny This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 8, 2010 at 8:53 am
I watched this movie in school... I'll have to read the book too!  I loved the movie, and the book is probably better.

addymayrelizabeth said...
i loved this book alot and i think more people should read it. it was an eye opener for me about the Holocust. I really enjoyed reading your review