The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls

The Glass Castle is an amazing book in my opinion. It is an autobiography about Jeannette Walls’s life story.

She is a young girl in an unfortunate family who has no money and a father who can’t support his family.

The story starts out with Jeannette at three years old, cooking hot dogs on the stove. She catches herself on fire and must be taken to the hospital immediately for treatment. She spends about six weeks in the hospital, enjoying the three meals a day and attention. Unfortunately her father decides she has spent enough time in the hospital and needs to leave because he, of course, can’t pay any of the medical bills. So he comes into the hospital one day and takes her out of the bed even though the doctors say she needs to stay and have more treatment. A couple weeks after Jeannette is forcefully removed from the hospital, the tax collectors start to come after the family because they have no money to pay the bills. They must leave quickly in the middle of the night as they have many times before.

They move to a small town in the desert where her father finds a job and they have some money, but her father, Rex Walls, wastes the money on alcohol and comes home drunk every night.

After a while of living in the desert they have to move again to a house in the city, and they live there for some time but end up moving again to live with her father’s parents in Welch, West Virginia.
They have many great adventures in Welch but I’m not going to just tell you the whole story you are going to have to go and pick up the book and read it for yourself. Trust me you will enjoy it!

alyofthevalley said...
That was absolutely awesome! Great job addymayrelizabeth!!! :D

Tralfaz1 said...
I could read your work all day! It makes me want to read this book! Great work! BD

addymayrelizabeth replied...
you should deff read it it was a good book