The Tale of Desperaux by Kate DiCamillo | Teen Ink

The Tale of Desperaux by Kate DiCamillo

April 20, 2010
By Holly_cheers GOLD, Hinton, West Virginia
Holly_cheers GOLD, Hinton, West Virginia
10 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
Me Gusta


Kate DiCamillo, the author of Because of Winn-Dixie and The Tiger Rising, has outdone herself once more in writing The Tale of Desperaux. Even though the book was written in 2003, it was created into an animated movie in 2009. DiCamillo’s story is about a small mouse who lived in the mouse community, in a castle, in the Kingdom of Dor. Love, light, soup, and a tiny mouse bring this story to life.
With a tiny body, huge ears, and a huge heart, it’s no wonder that Desperaux Tilling is the biggest star of the story. However, the light-loving rat, Chiroscuro, and the plump girl, Miggery Sow, who dreams of becoming a princess, are equally important. Without these two characters, Desperaux could not have his quest, and we would not have such a tasty story.
There are many problems that are faced in this story. Desperaux was caught conversing with humans, therefore, he was sent o the dungeon. Desperaux shortly finds out that his beloved Princess Pea is missing, and his journey to find her begins. Chiroscuro, also know as Roscuro, used to love light. When he invited himself to a royal party, something terrible happened. It was in fact so terrible, he realized that he was nothing more than a rat. Therefore, he planned revenge for his broken heart. Miggery Sow had a hard life. She lived with her uncle after her father had sold her to a man for a handful of cigars, a hen, and a red cloth. Her uncle would clog her ears, and yell at her. But something glowed in her heart. It was her deepest desire to become a princess. When she turned 10, she was taken to the castle to work as a servant, and at the time, she had no idea that an evil being would tempt her to do evil.
Sometimes you have to make sacrifices, and do courageous things for the people you love. Forgivness, light, love, and soup. The essential ingredients combine into a tale that is as soul stirring as it is delicious.
The author of Because of Winn-Dixie and The Tiger Rising, here shifts gears, demonstrating her understanding of stirring ones young heart. Everyone who is into love, knights, talking animals, and adventure should take reading this book into consideration because it is truly a one-of-a-kind.

The author's comments:
Kate DiCamillo is truly an amazing author, and she has many times, made me fall in love with her books.