My Sisters Keeper by Jodi Picoult | Teen Ink

My Sisters Keeper by Jodi Picoult

By EvanP95 BRONZE, Hinton, West Virginia
EvanP95 BRONZE, Hinton, West Virginia

My Sisters Keeper is a book written by Jodi Picoult. This story takes place during the 1990’s and continues through the present day. The setting of the story changes quite a few times. A small town and a courthouse are two of the settings, but the characters spend most of their time in a hospital.

It’s easy to connect with the characters in this story. Kate is a teenager who has been battling leukemia since she was a young girl. Her sister Anna was brought into this world to keep Kate alive. Her mother Sarah and her father Brian forces Anna to do things such as give her sister bone marrow and blood transfusions. They have a brother Jessie who has a hard time dealing with his sister’s illness. Campbell Alexander plays the role of Anna’s lawyer. Alexander helps people with their problems but he really has many problems of his own.

Kate’s illness causes her family pain, and the pain is handled in different ways. Drugs and alcohol are some of the ways the characters deal with the stress. Between falling in love and fighting for her life the stress becomes too much for Kate. The main problem in the story is that Kate doesn’t want Anna to help her anymore. Anna listens and sues her parents for the rights to her own body.

The lesson of this story is to not force someone to do something they don’t want to do. Also to always be there for your family and to look on the bright side of situations. Make every minute count because you don’t realize what you had until they are gone.

I personally loved this book. I would recommend this book to people who enjoy love and true life stories. If you are a family person and enjoy true life tragedies this book is for you. Did Anna save Kate or does she win the rights to her own body? Read the book and find out!!!