Double Identity by Margaret Peterson Haddix (re-do version! new and improved!)

Science-Fiction- my all-time favorite genre.

This book is what I like to call another “Haddix masterpiece”, a very fitting title for a great book, by Margaret Peterson Haddix, an author that I find to be pretty amazing and unbelievably talented. She mixes in science fiction with a little fictional government drama, and it keeps readers waiting for more. But enough about her, let’s get to the book.

At around the time of her thirteenth birthday, Bethany’s mother won’t stop crying. Her Dad is always preoccupied with comforting his wife, leaving Bethany to wonder just what’s going on.

But it gets weirder.

On night, Bethany’s parents force her into the car and drive from state to unknown state for hours. Her Mother is still sobbing, and her father focuses on driving, not quite knowing what to do with himself. Finally they reach their destination- long lost aunt Myrlie’s house.

Her father goes off to get her Mother some help, leaving Bethany alone with a complete stranger, no information, and a simple clue she overheard her father say on the phone- “She doesn’t know anything about Elizabeth.”

After her “new” cousin, Joss, comes along, Bethany learns more about the name, and the girl behind it. Elizabeth was her sibling- that’s what the clues added up to. So that must be the reason everyone in town gasps at the sight of her, the reason everyone who supposedly knew Elizabeth knew her like and dislikes…

Were they sisters, or something more?

hamham112 said...
Apr. 19, 2011 at 9:44 am
I read both of your reviews on this book, and you really did improve with this one. But if i didn't already read the book before reading this, i would've been a little ticked. It gave away a lot about the ending and the whole plot twist. WHen you write a review, don't give away the ending to much. Otherwise, it was a very nice review

tor10jax said...
This is definitely a good review because it makes me want to read the book.  I think you gave a good summary of the book, too.  Maybe next time you could write a bit more about what was good and bad about the book. Good job and keep writing!

readlikecrazy10 replied...
thanks! :)

sunnyhunny This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I really liked this book.  It was a really quick read, but it was really interesting.

readlikecrazy10 replied...
it was interesting... cliffhangers always make things more interesting. :)

sunnyhunny This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
I agree!  Very true.

horsie_luver said...
that was really interesting! i really like her books but i haven't gotten around to this one yet, but now it just jumped to the top of my to read list!!!

readlikecrazy10 replied...
thanks! it really IS worth reading. and thanks for the first real comment!!!!! :) :) :) :)

horsie_luver replied...
you're welcome! :-D

readlikecrazy10 replied...
:) :) :) :) :)

readlikecrazy10 said...
tick, tock, tick, tock.... time goes by... sigh... still no comments.... i guess ill never know what i'm doing right or need to improve on... yes, i know only 12 people have seen this article, but hey, that could be 12 tips that make me a better writer! PLEASE!

readlikecrazy10 replied...

and, 2 days later, STILL NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ratings are great, but comments specifically tell me what im doing right or wrong. PPPPPPPPPPPPLLLLLLLLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(thanks)

readlikecrazy10 said...
please rate and comment, especially if you saw my other double identity review. :):) :) :)