The Philadelphia Adventure | Teen Ink

The Philadelphia Adventure MAG

When you open a book to find a two-page list of "Other works by this author," it can mean two things: the writer turns out trash at an amazing speed, or he/she is an author for whom writing is an art, a craft and a living. Lloyd Alexander is certainly the latter. Best-known for his fantasy series, The Prydain Chronicles, Alexander has also written books for adults, translations from French philosophy, and dozens of books for us, including a series called The Vesper Holly Adventures. Vesper Holly is a young woman who solves mysteries with the help of her uncle and aunt. The series is based in the late 1800s, and takes place all around the world.

The Philadelphia Adventure takes place in Philadelphia, and centers around the Centennial Exposition in 1876. Vesper's arch-enemy, Dr. Helvitius, threatens the sanctity of the exposition, but Vesper takes care of his evil scheme and saves the day for President Grant. This novel is full of energy and funny plots. Vesper is the ultimate heroine who solves the mystery with ingenuity, spirit, and a great sense of humor. The book is a great read. n

i love this !