Going Bovine by Libba Bray

This quote definitely sums up the pure madness and absurdity of this book:

“As a kid, I imagined lots of different scenarios for my life. I would be an astronaut. Maybe a cartoonist. A famous explorer or rock star. Never once did I see myself standing under the window of a house belonging to some druggie named Carbine, waiting for his yard gnome to steal his stash so I could get a cab back to a cheap motel where my friend, a neurotic, death-obsessed dwarf, was waiting for me so we could get on the road to an undefined place and a mysterious Dr. X, who would cure me of mad cow disease and stop a band of dark energy from destroying the universe.”

Yup. It's that weird. And weirder.

There's one thing I disliked in this book and that is the main character, Cameron. He was the loser-type and annoying teenage guy in the beginning, and even by the end, he remains as one of those protagonists I just never liked.

The funny thing is that I knew Cameron's ride is like Don Quixote's but I still didn't guess the ending. Others say it was really obvious, but I guess I was too into the story to realize how the story would end.

So it was fun and wild ride. I was pretty much exhausted by the time I finished it. And, Libba Bray, you totally surprised me with this book; this is absolutely nothing like the Gemma Doyle series.