Going Bovine by Libba Bray | Teen Ink

Going Bovine by Libba Bray

By bookcrazy PLATINUM, Rocky Hill, Connecticut
bookcrazy PLATINUM, Rocky Hill, Connecticut

This quote definitely sums up the pure madness and absurdity of this book:

“As a kid, I imagined lots of different scenarios for my life. I would be an astronaut. Maybe a cartoonist. A famous explorer or rock star. Never once did I see myself standing under the window of a house belonging to some druggie named Carbine, waiting for his yard gnome to steal his stash so I could get a cab back to a cheap motel where my friend, a neurotic, death-obsessed dwarf, was waiting for me so we could get on the road to an undefined place and a mysterious Dr. X, who would cure me of mad cow disease and stop a band of dark energy from destroying the universe.”

Yup. It's that weird. And weirder.

There's one thing I disliked in this book and that is the main character, Cameron. He was the loser-type and annoying teenage guy in the beginning, and even by the end, he remains as one of those protagonists I just never liked.

The funny thing is that I knew Cameron's ride is like Don Quixote's but I still didn't guess the ending. Others say it was really obvious, but I guess I was too into the story to realize how the story would end.

So it was fun and wild ride. I was pretty much exhausted by the time I finished it. And, Libba Bray, you totally surprised me with this book; this is absolutely nothing like the Gemma Doyle series.