I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou | Teen Ink

I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou

April 1, 2010
By gabbyabby124 BRONZE, Shapleigh, Maine
gabbyabby124 BRONZE, Shapleigh, Maine
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
Only when the power of love overcomes the love of power will the world be at peace.


I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings portrays the life of a childhood rich in troubles and sorrow but also in many different forms of love. Anyone who reads it could relate to one part or another, whether it be the hardships of life growing up as average, abused, troubled, or that of growing up in a prejudice society.


It is written by Maya Angeou, a strong, well-known Black woman who writes poetically about her childhood with her family, growing up in a world where she was considered plain by many, although she had intelligence and an understanding of her world far beyond that of many of the adults around her. Throughout the book this is shown time and time again through her thoughts and actions. Instead of focusing on physical looks she focuses on peoples wisdom, and their strength, and that was when she was eight years old. This book deals with tragedy, heartbreak, and yet also yet also joy.


Despite the fact that this book is written by a woman I would recommend it to anyone and I think that it is important for everyone to read it as it makes you appreciate your life as it is and also gives you a chance to see the world from a new perspective.