On The Works Of O. Henry: "The Gift Of The Magi," "The Last Leaf" | Teen Ink

On The Works Of O. Henry: "The Gift Of The Magi," "The Last Leaf" MAG

Famous for his surprise endings that shock the unsuspecting reader, O. Henry has written hundreds of short stories. Two of his most popular are "The Gift of the Magi" and "The Last Leaf," although his other stories are equally captivating and exciting.

The variety of his stories is amazing. He manages to make each one different and unique. Another skill which O. Henry has mastered is his use of voice. Male or female, rich or poor, young or old, he makes each of his subjects extremely realistic and believable.

Often O. Henry's stories leave the reader pensive as he forces one to really think about what is important in life. For example, the couple in "The Gift of the Magi" realizes that no material gifts can ever demonstrate the invaluable gift of love. And when the old man in "The Last Leaf" unselfishly gives up his life for another, one is forced to reflect on his own good fortune in light of the story's theme.

All in all, O. Henry is an outstanding writer who can't ever be accused of boring the reader. For a unique thought-provoking experience in appreciating masterfully crafted tales, pick up a collection of O. Henry's works and enjoy! n

i love this !