The Water Is Wide | Teen Ink

The Water Is Wide MAG

By Anonymous

   A distant forgotten island, a kindhearted willing man, do the two mix together? Based on a true story, The Water is Wide is a wonderfully written story of Pat Conroy's fight to educate the impoverished children on an isolated island.

Although this island is off the coast of South Carolina, Yamacraw and its residents are completely oblivious to the outside world around them.

The author, a brilliant teacher, uses clever techniques to try and save the kids and the island itself. Giving a year of his life, he teaches the children in a way that is both fascinating and inspiring. While Conroy grows close to his students and learns more about the island, he allows the reader to as well. With his excellent descriptions, this incredible author creates a place that is unique and different for everyone. He lets the reader see this image perfectly, yet gives the reader room to imagine as well. For example, in the beginning of the book, Conroy describes the so-called "school" and classrooms where he teaches and lives. He talks about the tables, chairs, and chalkboard; however, he does not illustrate the size or shape of the classrooms, leaving this for the reader to fill in.

This is a very touching novel which makes the reader appreciate life and the privileges one has. Does Conroy succeed in achieving his goal of teaching? Well, read this extraordinary drama and find out! n