Foundation Series | Teen Ink

Foundation Series MAG

What is so special about the Foundation series? First, one could point out it was awarded the Hugo as Best Science Fiction Series Ever. That's reason enough, but the reason is deeper. The Foundation series describes the fall of a great Gallactic Empire and how Hari Seldon, the inventor of psychohistory - the science of analyzing and predicting mass human response - sets-up the Foundation, a sanctuary of physical sciences on a small planet called Terminus located on the outer reaches of the Galaxy in order to maintain scientific knowledge and establish a Second Empire - all in accordance with his well-calculated plans. He also set up a mysterious Second Foundation, supposedly at the other end of the galaxy, but its exact location is hidden. Many unexpected events and conflicts occur on the way to the Second Empire.

The Foundation series is unlike the typical science fiction thriller because it lacks romance, adventure, and action; instead it leaves the reader with an understanding of human emotion and nature. The story does not constantly march in one straight path to a climatic finish, but instead presents conflicts which must be dealt with by the brain, not guns and lasers.

Asimov has a special talent of leading the reader to assuming a course of events and abruptly changing the ending. In other words, this series is loaded with so many twists and turns, it's hard to hang on. This series is not for those who like thunderous war scenes and high space perils, it is for those who simply like a good story - with many turns. n

i love this !