The Most Dangerous Game | Teen Ink

The Most Dangerous Game

Today, everywhere in the world animals are being hunted down for no reason at all. Most people do it for entertainment, but no one really thinks of it as how they would feel if they were the ones being hunted down. “The Most Dangerous Game” written by Richard Connell is a short story about a man by the name of Rainsford, who enjoys hunting animals, but not so much when he is the one being hunted down himself. The story talks about Rainsford, and what type of changes he will go through throughout the book. Connell get across Rainsford’s character through what he says, what he does, and how he thinks.

Connell get across Rainsford’s character by telling the reader what he says through out the story, so we know what is going on. When the story first starts out the author is letting us know that Rainsfor doesn’t mind hunting animals. This happens by telling the reader Rainsford is on a yacht talking to Whitney and mentions "You're a big-game hunter, not a philosopher. Who cares how a jaguar feels?" Later on in the story we find that he doesn’t feel the same way when he is getting hunted. One should notice how the author explains to the reader that when you’re saying something, you should think about it first. Since Rainsford talked about how it doesn’t have an affect on him to kill animals, it just might now.

Even though what he says is important, what he does matters to. What he does lays out why Zaroff ends up dead. Both Rainsford and Zaroff enjoy hunting, so both of them have enough experience to face each other. Rainsford refuses to loose, and so in the end he kills Zaroff. Even though Rainsford won the game, he still knew Zaroff was no good. The choices that Rainsford had to make while hunting the general are tough. While hunting, Rainsford used different skills to defeat Zaroff, in the end what he does pays off.

Although Rainsford was brave, he had thoughts to himself that made him afraid. Through out the story Rainsford thought a lot to himself, mainly about how frightened he was. Such as when he had first arrived to the chateau, and met Zaroff. Some of the things that were said made Rainsford feel uncomfortable, but he continued to ask questions. Such as when Zaroff mentions he doesn’t even hunt for animals anymore, because it was too easy. Then finally when he realized what the general meant by hunting the game, Rainsford had a lot of thoughts running in and out of his mind. Not everything was good, because Rainsford had to make some good decisions on how to beat Zaroff at his hunting game. Zaroff had many tools and weapons such as the dogs but Rainsford had nothing. “He thought of a native trick he had learned in Uganda.” Rainsford had to make quick choices and smart on what to do. Thought after thought, his thinking paid off in the end.

After the author uses good characterization when telling the story, the reader should understand the where the character is coming from a lot more. The reader is able to tell what the charter is thinking, as he makes smart choices on how to defeat Zaroff. The reader is able to tell that in the end some of the things the reader says should have been thought about. Most importantly the reader should be able to understand what the character does in the story should be paid attention to, because it leads to big events. What happens to the character through out the book should now show the reader that you should think about how something might feel as if it could happen to you.