The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins | Teen Ink

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

By Will Smythe BRONZE, Youngstown, Ohio
Will Smythe BRONZE, Youngstown, Ohio

Excitement and suspense are crucial to the success of a book, and there are few that are in the same elite category as The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. Once a reader opens to the first page, he or she will be hard pressed to put this outstanding piece of literature down. From the deep characters to the twisting plot and suspenseful style, The Hunger Games isn’t lacking in the least bit. For any reader that is looking for a interesting read that will keep him or her on the edge of his or her seat, The Hunger Games is highly recommended.

From the opening chapter, a bond is quickly made with the main character Katniss Everdeen. The passion she has for protecting her family pours out of the pages and allows the reader to have sympathy for her. Suzanne Collins writing style allows the reader to relate to the characters on a deeper level by displaying their very thoughts through the book. As the book progresses, other complex characters come into play such as Gale, Prim, Peeta, and Rue. These characters will always be on the back of the reader’s mind and cause the reader to wonder how each exciting event that happens will affect the various characters. A movie theatre like setting is made when reading this well written novel in the sense that the reader will want to scream out and warn the characters of approaching danger that would be avoidable with a proper warning. This is a prime example of the bond that is made with each unique character. The bond the reader has with each character will have him or her rooting for them as the story progresses.

A large amount of work was put in by Collins to create a dynamic plot that keeps the reader on his or her toes. Just when the reader might think he or she knows what is going to happen next, another event happens that causes contradiction. The relationship between Katniss and Peeta is a perfect example. Leading up to and throughout The Hunger Games, the status of their relationship is unknown. On when page the reader may think that they will work as a team, but the very next page may lead the reader to believe that they are bitter rivals. This is primarily true at the beginning of The Hunger Games, where the reader will find it hard to put the book down through all of the excitement and suspense.

A large part of the success of The Hunger Games is the point of view the book is written in. This exciting story is told through the eyes of Katniss instead of using a narrator. By using this style, the reader is able to peer directly into the mind of this tenacious girl and her very thoughts are made available. During the actual Hunger Games, the reader is able to see the desperation and fear that is involved in this vicious event. Instead of a narrator describing the events, the reader is able to feel the emotions pouring out of Katniss as if he or she is there next to her. Katniss’ perspective allows the reader to dig into her mind and almost feel her lack of heat at night or the thump of her heart as she hides from her enemies who are a mere five feet from her. The first person perspective presented has the reader feel as if he or she is involved in the Hunger Games.

The Hunger Games is not a book to pass up. Adventure and drama fill the 374 pages contained in this jaw dropping novel. There are few books that are as exciting as The Hunger Games. The quality of characters and dramatic events add to the adventure portrayed. For any reader that is looking for a great book filled with excitement, The Hunger Games is an easy pick. Just a warning... the book is so suspenseful that it may the reader to not want to put it down!