I Know Why The Caged Bird Sing by Maya Angelou | Teen Ink

I Know Why The Caged Bird Sing by Maya Angelou

By oddpen SILVER, Shapleigh, Maine
oddpen SILVER, Shapleigh, Maine

You have to make the descending notes sound more like psychotic laughter!

~Dr. Keller~

I recently read “I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings”. This book is one of the most inspirational books I have ever read, managing to keep a sharp wit while opening your eyes to the horrors of our past.

Maya Angelou, the author of this book, writes about her childhood until the age of sixteen. She explores the world of a small, segregated Southern town in the 20s and 30s, and the ideals of a young black girl. As you read, you see how Maya changes and adapts according to the lifestyle she’s thrust into.

Ms. Angelou’s portrayal of love, hate, and betrayal is so stark and open that you can’t help but feel what she felt. As she writes, you see her inner strength grow, and the woman she was meant to be blossom. Even though she grew up in a segregated world, she writes with the truthfulness of maturity; everyone had a part in what happened. Her internal thoughts and struggles are so intriguing that you refuse to put the book down in fear of never learning the resolution.

I think that everyone, no matter your age or your gender, should read this book. It offers a look into the mind of a young, Southern black girl in the tough times of teens and segregation. Ms. Angelou’s writing allows you a deep insight into the minds of children, and the thoughts that they never share. I hope that you will read this book, because I know you’ll enjoy it as much as I did.

Please comment and rate.

on May. 31 2010 at 8:54 am
TheHandThatWieldsThePen SILVER, Shapleigh, Maine

"Let's waste time
chasing cars
around our heads."
--Chasing Cars by Snow Patrol

"I do believe it's true
there are roads left in both of our shoes
if the silence take you then I hope it takes me too."
--Soul Meets Body by Death Cab For Cutie

Yeah, I agree with DreamChild, I want to read this book now.  By the way, Emma, ur awesome!

DreamChild said...
on Apr. 9 2010 at 12:10 pm
This got me really excited to read it! Thanks for your review :)