A Break With Charity by Ann Rinaldi This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Ann Rinaldi demonstrates her exceptional writing abilities on the pages of A Break With Charity, a historical novel that takes place during the Salem witch trials. This book is similar to Rinaldi's An Acquaintance With Darkness in that she weaves historical information into a personal tale of hardship. Real names, dates, and occurrences are artfully placed through a story that brings history to life.

I became even more impressed with the historical authenticity of this novel when I learned that the main character, Susannah English, actually existed. Indeed, she most likely was not involved in the witch trials to the extent that the fictional Susannah was, but Rinaldi makes sure that all known information about the true Susannah coincides with the story. She simply fills in the unknown with a realistic and exciting plot of what could have actually happened.

I applaud Rinaldi for this well-written novel. It captured my attention. The book had a strong impact on me as I imagined the fear that coursed through innocent people who were accused of ridiculous crimes and punished harshly. My only complaint is that the reading level was on the younger side, so I finished it fairly quickly. This is not author's fault, though, if she meant the story to be for a young teen audience.

A Break With Charity is ­easily worth the read, especially for those who are drawn to history.

HisPurePrincess This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
It really was a good read, though easy enough to understand, the subject matter made me read parts of it over again just to take it in.  If you're interested in this time period, the dear america book "I Walk in Dread" is about the Salem witch trials written by a girl named Deliverance Trembley.  It's good.

SkyDeerThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I read a similar book with the same characters called Time of the Witches and I loved it so I'm definalty reading this.

HalliewoodYeaah This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Apr. 29, 2010 at 11:43 am
I read 'A Break With Charity' last year, and I must say, your review gives it justice!