Alicia: My Story This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Alicia: My Story by Alicia Appleman-Jurman

Alicia: My Story poignantly tells of a young girl's journey during World War II.

Alicia's riveting tale begins in a small town in Poland. After trouble arises with the local police because they are Jewish, Alicia, her mother and brothers flee. And so begin the next several frightening years as they try to avoid being caught by the Germans. Throughout the book, Alicia describes what happens to her family and friends as the Nazis capture them one by one. This is a story of survival, true courage and bravery that takes you all over Europe.

The plot is constantly moving and the characters keep changing. I could not put the book down. It amazed me how someone so young could withstand pain that many adults would find hard to handle. The book really made me evaluate my own life and be thankful for the stable and peaceful atmosphere that surrounds me. It is a hidden treasure that I recommend to all. Alicia: My Story will keep you in suspense and haunt you with the terror of war.

As we watch the devastation in Bosnia unfold, we are seeing genocide all over again. During World War II, many people claimed that they did not know what was really going on, but today we can turn on our televisions and see graphic pictures on the news. Perhaps there is another Alicia out there watching and waiting for help. It is sad that we are letting this horror recur. n

Review by A. S., Bedford, NH